Need tweak to stop help message;

L

laplinknut

Yu know that message to report this to microsoft error thing. Is there a way to get ride of that thing??

Thx

right click on my computer-> select properties

click the advanced tab...click the error reporting button and check off disable error reporting

Go to

Start >> control panel >> performance and maintenance >>> system >> Click the Advanced Tab >> down the bottom is "error reporting" click that ...

and just disable it

;)

LOL sorry AmarSingh i must have been typing when you posted the answer hahaha

:)

Don't listen to those suggestions. If you disable the message to send microsoft the error, you have essentially masked the problem, you have not solved the problem. Want to see for yourself. Check how many files you have in c:/windows/minidump/ . Now reboot, if you opted to stop the error message you will see 1 more minidump file. if you did not stop the message you will see one more minidump file, and a prompt asking you to report the error to M$.
Now Imagine after a year or so, how big do you think that minidumb directory is going to grow by simply ignoring the problem. You should fix the problem not cover it up. You should send the error report to M$ so that you bog them down with thousands of the same error report. Hundreds of people are experiencing this bug. Piss of M$ techs by bombarding them with error reports (feeding them their own sh%#), and they will release a fix.
This most likely is not a real error, just an XP bug. But when you get a real error, wouldn't you like to at least know that you did by getting the prompt clueing you in to what actually happened?

And now for the fix.

If this error is happening every time you start your computer, then it is probably the aforementioned "bug" and this fix WILL work. If you think that the message is the result of a legitimate crash, then this fix will most likely not work, and you need to concentrate on the real problem and not "cover it up".
Ready
Hear ya go
delete all the minidump files in the c:/windows/minidump directory, restart your computer, and happy sailing.

Sorry it took so long to get to the point, but i am tired of seeing people spilling their stupidity all over the internet.

If this does not work there is probably something application specific going on. reply back and I will check in to it.

Keith
Just another user!

Originally posted by laplinknut
Thanks Gang !!!
:rolleyes:

"Sorry it took so long to get to the point, but i am tired of seeing people spilling their stupidity all over the internet."

I hope you are not referring to me. My suggestion keeps error reporting enabled but reports to Mircosoft on its own.

ZIP,

No, not you, the others that say to disable it all together.

How I see it, as long as a message at least pops up to let you know something went wrong, then you at least have a fighting chance of fixing it.

Keith

ok just making sure ;) it does get annoying having it popup when your trying to do something. I want to use the tweak I posted but can't :( it would be more helpful....to have it report on it's own. can someone please try it and let me know to do apply it. I'm running home edition so I have no gpedit.msc :(

Right.
What if my notebook running XP Home is only occasionally connected to the internet? I don't want to have to click the stupid message away every time even a non-Microsoft program crashes.

Rutger

Can't resist adding so more info:

Customizing How Windows Handles Stop Errors

When Windows encounters a serious error that forces it to stop running, it takes the following actions:

The system displays a Stop message on the screen.
Based on the preferences defined for the current Windows installation, the system writes debugging information to the page file. When the computer restarts, this information is saved as a crash dump file, which can be used to debug the specific cause of an error.
Again based on the current preferences, the system either pauses with the Stop message on the screen or restarts when the crash dump information has been saved.
You can customize two crucial aspects of this process by defining the size of the crash dump files and specifying whether you want Windows to restart automatically after a Stop message appears.

By default, Windows XP automatically restarts after a Stop message. That’s the preferred strategy in response to a random, isolated Stop error. But if you’re experiencing chronic Stop errors, you may have more troubleshooting success by reconfiguring Windows to halt at the Stop message and wait for you to manually restart the system. To make this change, follow these steps:

Open the System Properties dialog box from Control Panel. (As a shortcut, click the Start button, right-click My Computer, and choose Properties.)
Click the Advanced tab and then click the Settings button under the Startup And Recovery heading.
In the Startup And Recovery dialog box, clear the Automatically Restart check box.

Click OK to make the change effective.
From the same dialog box, you can also define the settings for crash dump files. By default, Windows XP saves the smallest possible amount of information in a 64-KB file. After recovering from a Stop error, the system displays the dialog box shown. If you choose the Send Error Report option, the Small Memory Dump file is automatically sent to Microsoft.

tip - Clean up mini-dump files

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have a rash of Stop errors, mini-dump files can consume hard disk space unnecessarily. To clean the debris manually, open the %SystemRoot%\MiniDump folder and delete any files you find there. To automatically remove these files, use the Cleanup Manager options described in "Cleaning Up with Disk Cleanup."
In most cases, the information in a Small Memory Dump file is not sufficient to thoroughly debug an error. In the case of persistent Stop errors, a Microsoft support technician may ask you to create a more thorough crash dump file. To do so, open the Startup And Recovery dialog box using the steps outlined above, and change the selection in the Write Debugging Information list to one of the following options:

Kernel Memory Dump. This option includes memory allocated to kernel-mode drivers and programs, which are most likely to cause Stop errors. Because it does not include unallocated memory or memory allocated to user-mode programs, it will usually be smaller in size than the amount of RAM on your system. The exact size varies, but in general you can expect the file to be approximately one-third the size of installed physical RAM. The crash files are stored in %SystemRoot% using the file name Memory.dmp.
Complete Memory Dump. This option saves the entire contents of physical memory; as a result, it will be equal in size to your installed RAM. This can cause problems on systems with large amounts of RAM installed. On a system with 1024 MB of RAM installed, a crash dump file will use up 1 GB of disk space! The crash files are stored in %SystemRoot% using the file name Memory.dmp.
caution

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Change memory dump options only when requested to do so by a support engineer, and change the options back to their default settings after troubleshooting is complete.
When It’s Time to Ask for Outside Help . . .
The Online Crash Analysis feature, which is new in Windows XP, allows the operating system to send debugging information to Microsoft Product Support Services automatically after a serious error occurs. This action occurs only with your permission. You can do so anonymously or you can use your Microsoft Passport to send an acknowledged upload. In the latter case, a support technician may contact you to request more details. With luck, the technician can suggest a course of action that allows you to recover from the error. You can upload crash reports manually, using the Online Crash Analysis Web site. After uploading a crash report, you can check the status of your issue by returning to the site.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back