• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

need to protect a folder on apache

S

stewartbmw2000

Hi

Havn't played around with html and website related things in ages so I need some advice on whats the best way to protect a folder on my website which runs apache.

The second is a recomendation on picture a gallery php script.

Thanks

Bruce

X-Istence

Political User
Well if you dont want it to show up in a directory listing and its hosted on Linux, you can rename it like this:

folder name: download
rename to: .download

yes add the . in front of it and it will be hidden from directory listings. But you can still go to it using http://url.com/.download

X-Istence

Political User
Even if its not in an offline folder under the standard apache config they are unable to download them and will instead get a nice 404.

w0lv3rin3

The Source
Political User
well i dunno how or where u learn ur .htpass but i can tell u this, mine is offline inactive from apachie web server and is still able to work with out 404 error.

u have to set primeters on where the pass is located in ur apachie config.

it will still work regardless with the .htaccess, but what X-Istence is saying is that in the apache configuration file all files called .ht* are denied to public view

Very secure. I think you have to gain access to the file system "the regular way" to access the files. You can't crack it via Apache afaik.

w0lv3rin3

The Source
Political User
Originally posted by stewartbmw2000
but can an .htpasswd / .htaccess system still be hacked?

how secure is it?
it can be still hacked, but is very secure.

just depending on how well u know Apachie and hwo well u know how,,to use .htaccess or not

X-Istence

Political User
Well, its as secure as the password you use. The longer and more complicated the password, the longer it will take to brute force your way in.

w0lv3rin3

The Source
Political User
Originally posted by X-Istence
Well, its as secure as the password you use. The longer and more complicated the password, the longer it will take to brute force your way in.
ur also forgeting the encryption methods u use.

right now im using MD5 encryption.

X-Istence

Political User
Originally posted by w0lv3rin3
ur also forgeting the encryption methods u use.

right now im using MD5 encryption.
The encryption really doesnt matter, any one way encryption will do, because its impossible to unencrypt.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanoravies