Need to lock out a few things

• Thread starter stewartbmw2000
  • Start date
S

stewartbmw2000

Need to lock my XP machine so that no new programs can be added and so the control panel and other features are disabled, is there a way to do this with XP or do I need a 3rd party bit of software?

use the security policy editor...

Start > run > secpol.msc

lots and lots of stuff there you can turn on/off at user or computer level. Not sure if you can disable the CONTROL PANEL icon from there. But that can be done thru the registry.

You can look for similar registry hacks at

http://www.jsiinc.com/

Regards,
Willem Moolenaar

Sorry... this is where you want to check...

Use GROUP POLICY editor:

Start > Run > gpedit.msc

Plenty there for you.

Kind regards,
Willem Moolenaar

cheers for that lads, can't seem to find the option to disable software installations though.

If you swith the other users to limited instead of Administrator - they will no longer be able to install software.

yeah hopefully that should do it but apprantly you can still install some things, it's just annoying when you get back to find 1000 bits of spyware some weather display and a dancing girl on your desktop and not to mention BONZA BUDDY!!! that thing needs to be shot :D

True... if you remove the users account from the Admin group, installations become harder. However as long as the installing program doesn't access the registry (most do) the user can still install the program. Have you tried giving that particular user READ ONLY rights to the Program Files directory? You will have to have NTFS instead of FAT32.

Kind regards,
Willem Moolenaar

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back