Need System Build Advice

BillH2

OSNN Newbie
My Asus P4P-800E Deluxe system board is dying for the second time so it's time to build another system. I will NEVER use another Asus board. Here is what I came up with so far:

Case:
1 Antec LifeStyle SONATA II Piano Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450Watt SmartPower 2.0 Power Supply - Retail
Item #: N82E16811129155 $99.99

Memory:
1 Patriot eXtreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PDC22G6400LLK - Retail
Item #: N82E16820220144 $145.99

System Board:
1 Intel BOXDP965LTCK LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Item #: N82E16813121035 $109.99

Processor:
1 Intel Core 2 Duo E6320 Conroe 1.86GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6320 - Retail
Item #: N82E16819115015 $166.00

Anyone see anything wrong with this selection?
I don't need overclocking or SLI. System is going to be used as a home system, occasional games. (Need to decide on a video card)
Thanks
Bill

I'd recommend Corsair memory and at least an E6600 (4MB L2 Cache vs. 2MB).

seems good... but if you don't plan to overclock, isn't that ram like overkill?

something like this should be better:

SUPER TALENT 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail $89.99

edit: matt, the new e6x20 have 4mb

Opps. I missed the 6320. Dang "2".

eh, you can always wait for the "next big thing," but then you'll always be waiting.

That's true, but it's always a pain in the arse when you buy something just the next big thing is released!

I know that one :p

Spent £400 on a 7800GTX 2 days before the 7900GTX came out at a lower price :(

Thanks for the responses. I am going with the overkill Corsair memory and the E6600 processor. I may want to overclock it and when it comes to power, some is good, more is better but too much is just enough. One thing is certain; my days of using Asus boards are over based on how they handle warranties.
Thanks again
Bill

What's the general opinion about system board brands other than Intel? I have used Asus borads without problems until the last one, and had a bad time getting it warrantied. I would like a system that I can leave running 24/7 for years like the two Dell systems in room where this computer is going.
Thanks
Bill

When it comes to motherboard brands I would say gigabyte, msi, asus, and dfi are good ways to go. I know you don't like Asus but I always put them in because I've liked their boards.

I have an abit ab9pro and it has been rock solid stable after the bunch of bios updates that have been released but I wouldn't buy another one.

For the core 2 duo, you can't get better than the intel bad axe 2 unless you want nvidia sli. In which case you want the evga 680i sli board.

For E6600 and higher you should ignore everything else.

i've heard that msi's core2 mb are really good, and not too expensive

msi's boards are mostly i965 which will slow a 6600 or higher down. You need 975X chipset boards if you don't want nvidia sli.

thats only really good if you want nvidia SLI.

If however you are not nvidia's biggest fan over their driver crap over the last 6 months and now have an ATI card plugged into your box you want i9756 which is Intel :)

there are a few 975 from msi

oh, and i forgot about evga, they seem to be really good (their vga's are great)
the thing about sli... if you have an ati card still works, just no crossfire (i dont think its a pretty big deal)

look people its easy:

If you want SLI get the nforce board. For ALL other purposes get the i975X boards from intel. End of story.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back