Need some help yet again .....

L

Lystat

Hello hopefully one of you guys and gals can help me with a few problems...

Here is my set up:
tower PC- P4 1.8ghz-512mb rdram-80gig HD-cd/dvd/cd burner-geforce3 64mb ddr-soundblaster audigy gamer-10/100 nic-3 1/2 floppy-XP home
notebook PC-celeron 1.06ghz-256mb sdram-10gig HD-cdrom-intel graphics card-dunno soundcard-10/100 nic-3 1/2 floppy-XP home

both hooked up to netgear web safe router to my cable modem

dunno if giving stats will help anyone but never know

Problem #1

i just got a notbook pc HP omnibook xe3 and everytime i boot it up, it boots up fine but never fails to automatically go to the little log off, shut down, restart window as if i was hitting start>turn off computer.....???

Problem #2

same pc as above.. when im surfing the web i close IE6 down when im done and my internet options box appears for a few seconds then dissapears, sometimes it stays open and i have to close it....???

Problem #3

both computers... after awile of not using the computers they seem to disconnect from the internet and i either have to reboot both to reconnect or i have to reset my cable modem....???

Problem #4

i have both pc's connected to a netgear websafe router both running xp home with a cable connection... im also running zonealarm pro on both but i cant share files or my printer without shutting down zonealarm on both machines.. once i shut it down it works fine...i have xp's firewall turned off on both machines..i have looked through the settings on zonealarm and tried everything but im prolly missing something..???

Problem #5

This is what i get when i run norton windoctor and norton cant fix it and i cant cuzz i dont even know what it means really...this is exactly what it says, and i quote
You have selected to repair the problem:
"C:\\WINDOWS\System32\MAPISRVR.EXE" cannot access a necessary file, "gapi32.dll"
"gapi32.dll" might be located on a removable drive, a non-visable volume such as an NTFS drive, or on a network. If "C:\\WINDOWS\System32\MAPISRVR.EXE" cannot find the file, you may need to reinstall "C:\\WINDOWS\System32\MAPISRVR.EXE"
unquote
O and problem #5 is on both machines also :)

please help me :D

Thanx in advance!

Problem #5
This is what i get when i run norton windoctor and norton cant fix it and i cant cuzz i dont even know what it means really...this is exactly what it says, and i quote
You have selected to repair the problem:
"C:\\WINDOWS\System32\MAPISRVR.EXE" cannot access a necessary file, "gapi32.dll"
"gapi32.dll" might be located on a removable drive, a non-visable volume such as an NTFS drive, or on a network. If "C:\\WINDOWS\System32\MAPISRVR.EXE" cannot find the file, you may need to reinstall "C:\\WINDOWS\System32\MAPISRVR.EXE"
unquote
O and problem #5 is on both machines also
Just do a search or locate gapi32.dll (C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033\NT)
and copy it to the system32 directory. Or just ignore it.
Note: This advice comes from the Symantec site (forum), they call it a 'non' problem or something like that. It's just a small bug. Nothing to worry about.

1 and 2: That computer seems a bit buggy. Have you tried a complete reinstall? Could also be some hardware glitch (keyboard somehow) in the worst case.

3: Try to make the Netgear (if it can) or your computers keep the connection alive. Just a little traffic could keep it going, like pinging a certain server once every 30 min or so.

4: Make sure ports 137-139 UDP and TCP are not blocked by ZA. Block them in the Netgear however to block access from the outside.

ok when u said it might be a hardware problem i got to thinking and it ended up being the software for that hardware so thats fixed..thanx :D

how do i make netgear block those ports and ZA open them? all i did was plug the router in and went.. didnt know there was a way to configure it? and how do i make my comps ping a server every 30- minutes to keep the connection open??

thanx in advance :D

p.s. be gentle im learning :confused:

I don't use ZA so I don't know. RTFM? (Read The Feggin' Manual) It's probably in there. Great way to learn as well.
As for the router I think you just type in the IP of the router (normally 192.168.0.1) in the address bar and go from there. If not, RTFM again. RTFM anyway, it's always a good idea. ;)
Pinging is harder. I've never done it in XP, only in Linux. But I suppose the Scheduler could be set to run say "ping www.yahoo.com" (or more suitable host) or something every half hour or so.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back