Need router recommendation

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi all,

Need a router recommendation:

Small business running 1 Email/FTP/Web server and one 1 DC/DHCP/DNS/Print Server, 10 workstations. All Windows Server 2003 and XP machines.

Current router has bitten the dust, third one in three years. Need a more viable, reliable solution.

All machines are gigbit as well as the rackmount switch. A 4port would do just fine.

Latest casualty was a Netgear Prosafe VPN 8port router.

Thanks in advance,

Heeter

or Tomato.

Though I'm running an old spare PC on pfsense. Outspecs our routers at work :D

Hey thanks,

I am wondering about that AZ, as the reason that this router as well as the other two was because of melted wan ports.

Maybe the next one should a gigabit one.

Heeter

WRT54GL does not do gigabit. I'm actually disappointed with the quality of the cost effective wireless routers Linksys has that does Gigabit :(

Linksys WRT54GL with DD-WRT.

Hmm,

I downloaded this ddwrt

I installed like it showed, and now I cannot get into the password.

tried resetting the thing, tried the default password, nothing

does ddwrt have a password?

Heeter

Cisco 7606, they're quite nice. Though a bit noisy if they are going to be in the same room :p

I like my D-Link Gamerlounge. It has a ton of nice features right out of the box, and the interface looks like a well-done web page.

For about $120 you'd get gigabit and Draft-N.

Cisco 7606, they're quite nice. Though a bit noisy if they are going to be in the same room :p

LOL.. i'm guessing that will probably be out of their price range. But yes, they are quite nice.

LOL.. i'm guessing that will probably be out of their price range. But yes, they are quite nice.

Heavy buggers too with a couple blades in them. May well be out of the price range but I still look forward to the day when we can get 10GBase internet :p

Hmm,

I downloaded this ddwrt

I installed like it showed, and now I cannot get into the password.

tried resetting the thing, tried the default password, nothing

does ddwrt have a password?

Heeter

No, you need to follow their instructions, and probably telnet into it, and set a root password.

Another great router is Via C7, board with 2 GB of ram, 2 x 1 Gbit cards, running PfSense.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127134 (D-Link DGE-530T)
http://clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=A4842001 (VIA pc-1 Platform VIA C7-D 1.5GHz CPU + VIA CN700 Chipset Motherboard Retail PC2500E)

With a small hard drive, and some RAM you should be good to go. Will be extremely fast and flexible.

I recommend M0n0wall or pfSense (depending on your needs). Both are free to download and can be installed on a standard PC using a hard drive or a compact flash card. If you want something that is a little more compact you can also purchase dedicated hardware to install it on. They do support Gig NICs but you may want to check hardware support before installing/buying anything.

I have found that using a Linksys router is fine for home use but when you start adding more and more machines, it is not robust enough to handle the large amount of connections a network of 10 machine can generate, even with dd-wrt on the router.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back