Need permission??????

Bucky Badger

OSNN Addict
I have 1 user account on my computer. I am trying to change a dll file. I get a message that says I need permission. I only have one account called "main". What do I have to change to to be able to make any changes I want with out hassle, like XP did.

I really don't want different users. I like my computer to boot right up to windows with having to click different users. Thanks

you have to enable the administrator account(disabled by default) because the user has not enough rights even if you have admin rights.after enabling admin account log out of user log into admin make changes to files then log out of admin and back to user part of microsoft's security with vista and win7

Just take ownership of the file.

1. Right-click the file and select Properties.
  2. Click on the Security tab.
  3. Click Advanced in the lower right.
  4. In the Advanced Security Settings window that pops up, click on the Owner tab.
  5. Click Edit.
  6. Click Other users or groups.
  7. Click Advanced in the lower left corner.
  8. Click Find Now.
  9. Scroll through the results and double-click on your current user account.
  10. Click OK to all of the remaining windows except the first Properties window.
  11. Select your user account from the list up top and click Edit.
  12. Select your user account from the list up top again and then in the pane below, check Full control under Allow, or as much control as you need.
  13. You’ll get a security warning, click Yes.

Don't feel bad, I've had trouble taking ownership of files before, too. FWIW, I use the true Admin account as described, anymore.

I was having an issue moving some files around on my Windows 7 Ultimate (64) kept telling me I didn't have administrative privileges. I even added the "take ownership" to right click on a file before attempting. I also tried the above 1-13 method. It didn't work. I have a dual boot with Windows 7 (86) and was able to move files around from their on the 7 (64) drive. Pain in the butt but it works.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back