Need opinion on this system.

Skwowwy

1337ness
Some of you might remember me from a long time ago, maybe not, but that doesn't matter. It's just that I'll be around here and post a lot more often. :)

Anyway, what I want is your opinion on the following system that I want to build from scratch. The prices are from www.alternate.nl as that store seems to have the lowest prices of all Dutch stores I've seen. ;\ You can recommend me a better store if you wish. Should anything be changed below?

Motherboard: Asus A8V Deluxe (including: manual, driver CD, 2x Ultra DMA/133-, 1x Ultra DMA/33-, 4x S-ATA-, 2x 2-Port S-ATA data- and floppycables, ASUS WiFi-gTM card, Firewire-cable, ATX-lockplate, InterVideo WinDVD Suite Platinum) €129.00
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (including: cooling) €375.00
Memory: 1x Corsair 512 MB PC3200 CAS 2-3-2 €199.00
Video: Sapphire Atlantis Radeon 9800 Pro €229.00
Case: Thermaltake XaserV WinGo V7000A €125.00
PSU: Enermax 465AX-VE-GFM 460W €89.00
Storage: Seagate 200GB 7200RPM Barracuda SATA HDD €145.00
Monitor: Philips 109E50 €172.00

Total: €1463.00

I will purchase the keyboard, the mouse, and other things from my local computer store (so that I can test them before actually buying them). There are also some components I can use from this old PC (like the DVD-RW and some PCI cards). Printer and scanner are both available here as well, so no need for me to purchase them.

Any suggestions on the given system? I don't want the price to go any higher than €1600.00, as I don't have a large budget. >_<

if you game id add a full gig or ram. besides that looks good. Beats me out. :)

You had the same username before?

And how much in euros is the 6800 GT ? (edit: quite expensive :p)
Also, don't you really need 2x sata drives to feel the real benefit :)

i'd agree with sraycoz. especially if that mobo has Dual Channel DDR capabilities, that system would be smokin wit 1GB of PC3200.

Electronic Punk said:
You had the same username before?

And how much in euros is the 6800 GT ? (edit: quite expensive :p)
Also, don't you really need 2x sata drives to feel the real benefit :)

Yeah, I've been here before with the same username and I've received your e-mails as well about the board. Nonetheless, I'm happy with the way everything is now, so don't worry about restoring my posts or something, unless you really want to. :p

Anyway, you probably misread the including bit of the motherboard: it includes 2x SATA datacables, not 2x SATA connectors. There's in fact only one SATA connector and two IDE connectors. :)

If nVidia's 6800 Ultra wasn't that expensive, I'd have chosen that, but y'know, according to this article I'll be fine with 9800 Pro.

As for the RAM, the motherboard and CPU indeed support dual channel memory. I already kept that in mind when I selected the products. One 512 MB stick already costs 199 Euro, so having two of them would be a tad expensive. I can always purchase the second one later in the future. Besides, I have 320 MB right now in this (old) PC and it can run games like Halo and UT just fine at reasonable quality, so 512 MB will be enough for now. I'm not a hardcore gamer, so it's fine. :p

Seems I made the right choices, but if there are any suggestions, I'm happy to hear them. :D In the meantime... *goes to post in other threads*

instead of 1x 512MB DDR get 2x 256MB DDR so you can run the ram in dual channel, it makes quite a difference

Actually, have a look here. Read the comments about RAM (comments based on this article). There, they say that 2x 256 MB sticks won't really help. Might as well get one 512 MB stick now and buy another one later, so you can do dual channel after all, but instead of 512 MB in total, I'll have 1 GB. ;p

There are far more arguments listed in the comments, so read that and you'll understand why 1x 512 MB is the best at start.

not a bad setup but I recommend getting the 6800GT as EP said... its twice the performance of the 9800pro in some situations if you are seeking to be doing any gaming at all...

other than that its not a bad setup :)

Sazar said:
not a bad setup but I recommend getting the 6800GT as EP said... its twice the performance of the 9800pro in some situations if you are seeking to be doing any gaming at all...

other than that its not a bad setup :)

6800GT is really expensive... >_< And so is 6800 Ultra. But I guess it's always cheaper than buying 9800 Pro and in the end 6800 or a better card. :p

But now I'm wondering what exactly the difference is between 6800 GT and 6800 Ultra. *_*

Edit: I just read this thread, so I guess that clarifies it enough. But now I have a new question: which brand/type should I take from the following ones:

- MSI GeForce NX6800GT-TD
- AOpen GeForce 6800GT-DV (retail)
- Club3D GeForce 6800GT (retail)
- XFX GeForce 6800-GT/T2D (retail)

Google doesn't really give accurate results and Alternate's details don't give much certainty either. ;\ Do a search for 6800 GT (Zoeken) and press the info button on the listed products.

i would agree as well, up the ram. 1gb is becoming the norm nowadays. and the dual channel mode will open up that processor's capabilities.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back