%#$&(^(%#^% Need New MB

LeeJend

OSNN Veteran Addict
#$^(%#^ Need New MB

So my MB NIC died tonight for no apparent reason...

Looking for a new MB. Low end, I never use the fancy features.

PCI-e, LAN, sound, SATA, Socket 939 and 4 DIMMs, optional on the SLI.

What chipsets and brands are good these days?

PS I'm running off an ancient 10 mbps NIC I had in the junk box for now.

PPS Thanks to all those here who have discussed backing up your wpa.dbl file over the years. When the NIC died the Activation Nazi decided I had a cracked copy of windows and gave me three days to re-activate by phone. Which would have meant 2 phone reactivations in the next week (temperoray NIC and then new MB) which MS would probably have denied. Using a wpa.dbl from my last MB change killed the Nazi. :)

Last edited:
Re: #$^(%#^ Need New MB

After looking for a MB last night I'm leaning that way. I can get a 100 mbps PCI NIC for $9 locally, $14 for a gigabyte NIC.

The reason I was thinking about a change was that the pci-e and the VIA 890 on my MB have questionable performance and I only have 2 DIMM slots which means I can get a new MB and 2 sticks of 512 for much less than 2 sticks of 1 gig RAM.

My MB is a hokey ECS attempt at AGP/PCI-e on one board. But it is a faked AGP which is useless and I suspect the pci-e suffers also.

On the other hand with AM2/ C2D and DDR2 in general use now spending anything on upgrades right now seems a waste.

Sigh...

Last edited:
what socket cpu do you have?

and if i were you i would bite the bullet and go c2d, but that is just me.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back