Need MySQL help with root password

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hey all,

First off, I am using MySQL 4.1.2. It has been running absolutely flawlessly for the last three years or so.

Throughout all this time, my phpmyadmin has always complained that my root password has never been set.

So I decided to look up how to set the password last night, and on MySQl help pages, I found a step by step guide on how to setup/reset the password for root.

Well much to my dismay, it didn't work, now my mysql service cannot restart.

I am wondering if anyone knows what to do to get me out of this jam?

Thanks,

Heeter

That was exactly the howto's that I was using. Who knew.

I managed to get sqlyog free edition to run, and I went into the mysql default db, and remove the offending entries. Everything is restarted now upon Server reboot, but Apache is giving me errors. Looks like everything is running and phpmyadmin is back to bitching that I don't have a root password. All is good again.

This will remind me of something: If it broke, don't fix it.

This came close to ruining my webserver, as all my client invoicing, and my database creation php's is done through Mysql.

Thanks for the help Carpo.

Heeter

So where is this website hosted? :p

Having no root password set for MySQL is like asking people not to just walk into a house with the front door removed. You need to set a password for root, and make it fast. Otherwise all your clients information could be out on the "street" tomorrow or whenever an attacker finds out about this.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back