Need more Thermal grease on a PIII ??

P

Pythro

I was disecting my computer and I removed the heatsink from the processor and I dont see any thermal compund. When I removed the heatsink I can see a blue square on the processor, I think this is the die and i think this is were i would put the termal grease if i needed any. Am i right and what is a good thermal grease if i need some?

yeah, you're right. p3's have a blue square in the middle which is the die. that is where you'd want to apply a thin layer of thermal grease.

I and everyone else will tell you Arctic Silver III is the best. you can get it online for like $10 and have enough for years.

yeah you are right, artic silver compound is probably the best heat transering stuff around

Ok thanks alot. So I guess I need to put as much on the die as i can without it oozing off and shorting stuff out.

it's made to not conduct electricity... but you really don't need that much. like i said, just a thin layer covering the die.

also, be sure to thoroughly clean both the die and heatsink contact surface. don't get fingerprints on either one as oil insulates.

Ok thanks. What should i use to clean it? A paper towel?

rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover... and a paper towel works, but make sure you get off any lint when you're done.

no problem. }:>

the whole thing probably isn't that important with a p3... but when you have an athlon of any kind, it becomes a religion. }:p

did your heatsink have any kind of TIM on it?
u wouldnt see any thermal grease then ...i think

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back