Need MB/CPU Advice - video upgrade went bad

LeeJend

OSNN Veteran Addict
My new EVGA 8800 GT will not work in my ECS K8t890-A PCI-e 1.0 MB! I just got off the phone with EVGA (who have the best tech support I've ever encountered!!!!!!!!). Some of the older PCI-e 1 MB's are not compatible with the latest generation PCI-e 2 cards.

EVGA does offer a firmware flash to make the 8800 GT a PCI-e 1 card. I graciously declined shooting my new card in the foot. Some MB makers may have bios upgrades to support the PCIe- 2 video cards, ECS does not.

Since I already upgraded the PSU to support the new card thinking the 400W PSU was the problem, I've bit the bullet and am going with a full system upgrade.

Seeking ideas on the new MB/CPU.
-I can get an AMD X2 4600 w/MB for $100 locally. I know this is stupid, but I am cheap and need to be talked out of it. This would be a 1 year stop gap to reduce additional investment at this time.

-Core 2 Duo 6750 look$ good.

-What MB? So many to choose from and somebody has complaints about all of them including ASUS (quirky memory compatibility).
--What chipset? I've lost track with all the new ones
--FSB 1033, 1333?

-RAM looks easy enough, DDR2 800 mHz, 2 GB for $50, 4 GB for $75 Corsair or OCZ.

Current system is an AMD 64 2500, X800XL, 2GB 800 Mhz DDR, POS ECS MB.

Money is not that much of a concern. I shorted the tech stocks just after Christmas and they politely dropped by 18% over the last 3 weeks (especially Intel today :), which is why I can be pried off the ATI fanboy wagon). But remember I am inherently cheap so I want to stay under $200-250 for CPU/MB/RAM! ( I have $350 into the PSU and video already.)

heh. Well... I was just thinking... Because of that AMD CPU article, shouldn't the CPU's be getting cheaper since this is the last quarter of selling a majority of the CPU's available? I mean, just a thought.

Chipset... well... that is a dependent one... just because I would easily love to see development on the ATI CrossfireX under spider platform, that nVidia Hybrid might also have a chance of pulling out if they succeed over the CrossfireX video cards.

Everything else... I say wait for the more pro-like people as my MB is nice just the way it is.

Well I would think your issue would be what boards/chipsets support PCI-e 2 cards like your video card.

Me I would go Intel at the middle of the road price range, along with the motherboard that would work the cpu and your psu.

Lacking anyone calling me an idiot I went ahead and bought the ECS MB w/X2 4800 and 2 gig PQI RAM, I can add more latter.

Works fine with the 8800 GT and ECS seems to be putting a little more quality into their MB manufacturing. Now all I have to do is put the everything in the case and try and do a MB change without reformatting. This will be an interesting weekend...

Thanks for the comments.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back