Need Help

theophilus

OSNN Junior Addict
I have an 75 & 20 gig hard drive on my computer. I had been running my OS on the 75, and using the 20 for backups as well as for files I wanted to save and didn't want to lose in case of a OS crash, or deciding to format/reinstall. Anyway, ran out of room on the 20. So I decided to partition the 75 into a 25 for my OS and programs, a 50 for saved files, and leave the 20 for backups (it is a slower SCSI hard drive, I don't want to use it for anything other than backups).

Now to the problem, I installed Windows XP onto the new partitioned 25 gig drive, and I'm having nothing but problems. All kinds of programs are unstable, and shut down for no apparent reason. Freshly installed programs don't run. Programs don't install (I can't get Adobe reader to install for the life of me). I have tried to download files (adobe reader among others) to reinstall with a fresh copy, and the downloads are corrupt. Only about 1 out of 20 downloads are any good.

I ran a diskcheck, and had it fix any errors. I reformatted the new partition, reinstalled again, ran a diskcheck, updated, and still have the same problems. Windows is completely updated (to the current sp2 build) as are all the programs I am trying to run/install.

I'm lost.....HELP!!!!

Question:1 Did you use a partitioning application to partition the drives, which said to save a backup to floppy or other place etc?

Question:2 Did it do drive mapping after or did you skip that part?

Start by running the back up program for partion first.

You mention sp2 build - this worries me.... Have you been in contact with M$ if you are an sp2 beta tester?

I did not use a partioning application like Partition Magic, so there was no backup program/disk. I used the partitioning tool built into the Windows XP installation process.

I didn't do drive mapping after I partitioned because I did it as part of a fresh install. I deleted all the old partitions, set up the new ones, and formatted each of the two drives, and then installed a clean install of Windows onto it.

I was having troubles before I installed sp2. I downloaded the most recent sp2 when it came out from Microsoft, and have been running it on my system for the last week or two, and have had no problems whatsoever. I just used the same saved install file, and installed it on this new installation. The problems started before I every got sp2 on it. Actually, now that I think about it, I never got it installed on it the first time I tried, only after formatting again and trying a second time did I get it installed.

sounds like a case for getting the relevant disc diagnostic tool for your drive - the manufacturers site usually has one - and checking if all is OK with the drive.

theophilus said:
I did not use a partioning application like Partition Magic, so there was no backup program/disk. I used the partitioning tool built into the Windows XP installation process.

I didn't do drive mapping after I partitioned because I did it as part of a fresh install. I deleted all the old partitions, set up the new ones, and formatted each of the two drives, and then installed a clean install of Windows onto it.
That tool should come with public health warning and should be a big NO-NO!

New info

I decided to re-run a scandisk on all the drives, and then format and reinstall.

Durning the installation (second time now), I keep getting a message that files are not copying. I have used two different install disks, and I get the messages with both disks. I am able to hit enter, and it tries again, and is able to copy the file. Could there be a problem elsewhere in my hardware that is causing this problem? My system is only a little less than a year and a half old.

Clean the cd-roms with a computer cleaner, as you might have dirt grains on disks that stop them from transfering files to HD!

theophilus said:
I decided to re-run a scandisk on all the drives, and then format and reinstall.

Durning the installation (second time now), I keep getting a message that files are not copying. I have used two different install disks, and I get the messages with both disks. I am able to hit enter, and it tries again, and is able to copy the file. Could there be a problem elsewhere in my hardware that is causing this problem? My system is only a little less than a year and a half old.

sounds like

Theres nothing wrong with your install discs, theres nothing wrong with your hard drive

Check your memory !!! Even just taking it out and putting it in again may help

It never ends....

....I'm about to put a bullet through my computer.

Now I am getting messages that says "Windows could not load the install for" CDROM, Battery, and DiskDrive.

:mad:

Did you clean install disks?

Rings a bell what you wrote again, could be memory sticks, try removing them cleaning them drying them and replacing the highest valued one first and try again!

I cleaned the cd's

I used a cd cleaner to clean the cd's. I'll try the memory next.

remember to clean the cd rom as well, i have had that problem before as well.

might need new memory. I had the same problem as u. It took awhile to figure out that it was memory. sometimes i could get almost to the end of format and sometime get as far half way during the xp setup.

Seems to be working now...

....but I'm not holding my breath.

I took out my memory, cleaned it off, and reinstalled it, and everything seems to work flawlessly now.

Hopefully that was all that was wrong.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back