Need Help With Temps/cool

P

plastiqued

I need some advice with my new system i just built.

I have a AMD XP2200 and a stock heatsink/fan with some thermal grease applied.
In Bios my cpu temp is running in the range of 57-60C

Is this too high? I've been having random reboots in Windows XP as well
and i'm guessing its my heating situation.

could my temps be the problem?
Any suggestions?
plastiqued

probably... i think it is too high!
is the heatsink from AMD and did the thermal grease is originally from the heatsink itself? then i really recommend u to change it to better heatsink and thermal grease.

i remember when i first built my pc.... it did randomly reboots and sometimes hang when i play games. when i check my temp, it is 56~61c...

now my idle temp is 37~39 which is quite good..... so try to change to better heatsink or thermal..... u also can open the side casing which resulting in better air flowing......

no the heatsink/fan is the default stock one that came when i bought my motherboard/cpu combo

it didn't have the thermal pad underneath so i had to use thermal grease.

i got some thermal grease from a friend. i dont know what kind it was. it was in some small package...

what kind of heatsink do you think i should get?
and what are the price ranges?

this is the fan that came with it.

Basic CPU Cooler ( 6 CFM - 30mm )

6 CFM?!? most aftermarket hsf's come with like 30 CFM fans. might as well get a better heatsink then that mediocre aluminum one they supplied you with, anyway. definitely look into buying another hsf.

i recommend u to change the cooler...... and btw did u apply the thermal grease urself?? if not i highly recommend u to aply urself......

Same here. Change your cooler dude; this one you have sucks.

Temps should not be that high; but the processor can run that much without getting fuxored too much; mine runs at 55C and never crashes or reboots.

yah i applied the thermal grease myself.

heres a Coolermaster 80mm CPU Cooler
i found for $21

CPU Cooler For: AMD Athlon XP, T-Bird
(Socket 462, Socket A), Intel Pentium III (Socket 370)

Heatsink Dimensions: 60mm x 80mm x 41mm
Thermal Resistance (Lower is Better): Info Not Avail.
Heatsink Material: Aluminum

Fan Dimensions: 60mm x 60mm x 13mm
Air Flow (Cu. Ft. / Min): 27.72CFM
Fan RPM: 5400RPM
Noise Level: 38 dBA
-------------------------

Is this adequate? i mean i don't plan on overclocking or anything.
i just want a stable temp.

dood...

buy a volcano 7... should be around 20 bucks or so.. not so loud really for the performance it gives... else a coolermaster QUIET copper heatpipe thinger... should be around 30 bucks or so... I recommend the volcano 7...

the thermal paste should be of the arctic silver variety...

recommendations for GOOD heatsinks due to the cooling nature of the 2200+... it needs a good cooling device.. :)

amd athlon xp's are designed to work through around 90c temps... so you are not going to kill your cpu... but might reduce the life span of the the thinger... so be careful...

applying the thermal paste... make sure that there is a nice layer about 1mm thick EVENLY spread... it will spread also once the hsf is applied.. stick the paste on the bottom of the hsf after it has been cleaned properly... if there is already a pad/paste on the HSF get rid of it... and then apply your stuff... :)

so is there a reason that my computer is rebooting at around 60C?

could it be from the temps? or something else?

as i mention b4, probably it would be the temp prob. 60c is over too high........ and it may resulting reboots....

300w psu
dvd/cdrw combo
80gig hd
internal iomega zip
1.44 floppy

could it be a lack of power?

if this is ur specs..... then i think the possibility will be very very low..... but u can try another psu if u got another..... :)

ok this is what i just ordered.

Arctic Silver 3 Advanced Thermal Compoun TCAS3 $4.99
ThermalTake Volcano 9 for $20

does this sound adequate?

You're using 128MB of PC100 SDRAM??

You really need some good DDR RAM(at least 256MB).
If your motherboard doesn't support it you'll also need to upgrade that too!

You're pretty well wasting the CPU you've got there.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back