• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

need help with recognizing c drive from boot disk in win xp

R

Robert Pearce

I need help please
i recently installed Windows XP pro and when i make a system disk and boot with it to an A: prompt thats as far as i can go when i try to go to the C: drive or D: drive it says incorrect drive

J

jumpy

Drives that are formatted as NTFS can not be accessed from pure DOS. That is why you can't access them.

Hipster Doofus

Good grief Charlie Brown
Welcome to the forums Robert. XP does not use win9x boot disks. The easiest way is to insert the xp cd & boot up. If you want to get to a prompt window try safe mode.

T

thewraith

If you are just looking to read the drive, you can download NTFS4DOS from www.winternals.com. NTFS4DOS is just what it sounds like. It lets you boot to a disk and read an NTFS partition. If you want to write to it, you have to purchase a product that will do that. Winternals does make NTFS4DOS Pro, but it's expensive.

Other than that the other guys are correct. You can't read it from a regular boot disk. It's a security feature of NTFS. Only thing you can do is repartition it as a FAT volume if you want to boot to it. That destroys the data, of course, but it gives you a DOS bootable volume.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pdawgintown