Need help with partitions!

G

G-Lizard86

Okay this is the case, first i had a 40 western digital, with windows on one standalone primairy partition, the rest is for music and stuff and is logical, now i've bought a 80 gig wd, which is much faster, now i want windows on that hard drive, so i made partitions, one primairy and the rest logical, i made a ghost of the original windows partition and put it on the primairy one on the 80 gig drive. Then i made the new drive master, and the 'old' one slave. Now i don't know where windows is running from, from the C: original on the 40 gig, or on D: on the 80 gig? and how do i change it?

dont know :eek:

what I would do

put in one hdd : - install XP onto it
then
put in your second hdd
now you can access that drive to get to your image
& XP will be installed to "C"

hope that helps

:cool:

cant you set it in the bios to boot from only C drive??

euhhmm...i don't know...gonna have a look, don't really know what u mean....(both)...

Here's what I did:
1. Plug in the new drive.
2. Set up the partitions and format them.
3. Use Ghost to clone the drives. Don't make an image.
4. Remove the old drive.
5. The new drive boots up and becomes C:.
6. Plug the old drive back in, but as slave this time.
7. Repartition and format the old drive.

ohkay i'll try that...the problem is that i renamed the partitions, now the new one is C: the old one D:, and i made the new one allready master, and the old one allready slave. but it's now still booting from the old, D:....so i'm gonna try your way...thanks!

Does it boot from the new drive if you unplug the old drive?

Oh, yes, you must set the first partition on the new drive as "active" in order to boot from it. I did that with an (old) Win98SE boot disk. Win 98 can't read NTFS but fdisk can at least identify them, so setting it as active works.

yeah that's what i've been looking for, how to set it active, btw, haven't tried yet to unplug the old drive, cuz i first have to move the data, and i'm doing that now, i'll try that first, and if that doesn't work, how do i deactivate the old windows, and how do i activate the new one, cuz i don't have a win98 boot disk or anything...

Well i've used that bootdisk from win98, and i set the new partition as active, also the new disk is master, and the new partition is now called C:, and now it does boot from C: (the new one) but it says that this file hal.dll is missing or damaged, what do i do now?

Some part of the ghosting must have gone wrong. Try redoing it. You could just replace the file I guess, but that would risk keeping other damaged files.

Well i replaced the file with the one from the original windows partition, but still the same....

LOL...I always just reformat and reinstall everything. :p

Melon

Yeah but i gotta lot of programs, and i don't wanna reinstall everything, with the licenses and stuff....

And that's why I want you to try and ghost the disk again from the beginning. The old disk is still intact is it not?

Yeah it's still working, cuz the only way i can boot now, is from the original disk...so...i'm gonna try again...

try using Powerquest Drive Image.. I find it works very well for XP Pro..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back