Need help with Choice of card.........

Teddy said:
Well get either of them then...they'll both be fine for just that. Dont make this in to a drama...buy either and be happy!
yeah, pretty much. any card is going to be able to display a windows interface.

here's a tip; make sure it doesn't have a fan. passive (fanless) heatsinks are more reliable and quieter.

Since this seems to be done, let me just hijack this thread :p

I too am i the market for a new GC, nothing too fancy, similar price range (under 100 but as close to 80 as possible, but in £). If possible a duel head, but not mandatory. Any ideas?

is it better than a Leadtek GeForce FX5200

What i would say is that i noticed on the same site there is the PRO version of the same card but with 128Mb of memory for about 2 or 3 quid more, on reflection i think that may be a better buy.

However here are some comparisions of benchmark here... (inlcuding the FX 5200)

http://www.itreviews.co.uk/hardware/h490i.htm

LeeJend said:
Hmmm, 9200 and se. Isn't that an oxymoron?

If all you're building is a surfing machine buy a used tnt card for $20.

I second the TNT. I use a 32mb TNT2. It has never failed me in 3+ years. It did come loose once recently, but no big deal. I do absolutely no gaming, so this card is perfect for me.

TheBlueRaja said:
h490h.gif

the worst comparison graph i've ever seen. lol

already did got an evga geforce 2 mx 400. perfect for what i needed. thanks for all the help.

Haha,
It was the only place i could find a comparison of the 9600, the 9600 Pro and the Fx 5200.

You try and do better..... :D

TheBlueRaja said:
Haha,
It was the only place i could find a comparison of the 9600, the 9600 Pro and the Fx 5200.

You try and do better..... :D
mkay ;)

but really, i wasn't commenting on your review-finding abilities... just wondering if the reviewers themselves actually find that graph useful. haha :p

God damn son of a....

;)

Either way it proves that the FX 5200 is poor by comparison (especially if you look at the Call of Duty benchmark at the link you gave, i have no idea what the price difference is between the two though.

TheBlueRaja said:
What i would say is that i noticed on the same site there is the PRO version of the same card but with 128Mb of memory for about 2 or 3 quid more, on reflection i think that may be a better buy.

why is the PRO better with half the memory?

Well first and foremost its a much faster card to start off with,
And 256 meg on lower end cards (like the 9600) isnt really going to give you much extra for your money, because games that utilise very high res textures, which are the games that will use 256 meg, probably wont run all that fast with those textures loaded on the lower end cards anyway due to the bandwidth limitations of the card.

Thats my understanding off it anyway, although if Sazar is around a second opinion would be nice.

that's right. the only reason that these low-mid range cards are loaded with 265mb of memory is because people like numbers. a lot of people don't know any better and would think that a 256mb card is twice as fast as a 128mb.

friend of mine got a 256mb 9200 (!!!) for xmas from her dad. i was like, "wtf?? i didn't even know they made that... that's crazy." useless. should be 64mb.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back