Need Help setting up DNS Server Win2003

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hey all,

Wonder if I could get assistance setting up the DNS Server part of my Win2003. I would like to setup it up so that I could redirect the DNS from my registrar to my server.

I do have a static IP address and a domain name (hcctech.ca)

Right now, I just use my IP address to redirect to my apache setup on my Win2003.

Maybe there is a guide that I can follow.

So far I have put my original CD into my tray and installed the DNS server.

Thanks

Heeter

What are you trying to accomplish? Are you trying to create an A record for hcctech.ca on your server?

Yes I am, Thanks Matt.

This is what I got so far (screenie), don't know if I need a reverse lookup as well.

The registrar is looking from something that starts with ns. eg; "ns1.hcctech.ca"

HelderC

Attachments

• dns.jpg
    dns.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 417
Last edited:
You will have to have your ISP change/add the record for your IP address to match that, because your ISP is providing you with the IP address.

Basically you want to create an NS record called ns1.hcctech.ca then an A record called the same, an A record for "server" and go from there.

Hi GUys,

LofLA, would I create the ns1.hcctech.ca under my "Server" or under Forward lookup? Would I create it as a new primary zone?

Would it look like this (screenie)? The IP address is my WAN address or is it my server address?

Thanks

Attachments

• dns2.jpg
    dns2.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 985
Forward lookup. Use the WAN address. Your server should be directly connected with no NAT devices in the way.

How does this look? (screenie)

Port forwarding the router is not enough?

Thanks for all the help

Attachments

• dns3.jpg
    dns3.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 502
delete all those zones you have. You should only have hcctech.ca. I said to create "RECORDS" not "ZONES" :) That means right click in hcctech.ca and select new record......

Not rocket science :p

It will work through port forwarding, but it will cause problems.

Sorry Bud,

Not thinking straight,

How about this? (screenie)

If I put it through the DMZ of the router, that will be better then?

Thanks a million for your help.

Attachments

• dns4.jpg
    dns4.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 309
Cool, you're getting there :)

Now you need to create A records with the correct name and a few more NS records (with associated A records) to keep the registrar happy :)

DMZ is cool, but that stops port mapping to other machines on your LAN..

Hmmm,

you seem to have lost me on the "more NS records" part.

I did create more A records, (screenie)

Maybe I didn't understand correctly,

Thanks again,

Attachments

• dns5.jpg
    dns5.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 593
see there in your screenie it says Name Server (NS) - you need one for ns1 and one for ns2. You can safely ignore the one MS puts there.

Okay, how does this look?

I think that I am understanding how you are explaining this than going this "checklist" that MS provided in the Help section. looks a lot more introverted through the help section. Especially since it is assuming that Active Directory is installed, which I don't have.

LofLA, thanks for being patient with me.

Helder

Attachments

• dns6.jpg
    dns6.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 275
Update,

I went to the registrar's site and used ns1.hcctech.ca/ns2.hcctech.ca for primary/secondary DNS, but it still not working, it has been a couple of days.

I wonder what else I might be missing, if there is.

Thanks,

Heeter

Am I missing something (Lord?) or don't you need to have your ISP change/add an A record for the IP address(es) you are using?

Well, I went logged on to their dns setup page, and entered My new DNS two days ago, but it doesn't look like it has propegated yet, or am I still missing something? I do a WHOIS and it does come back as "ns1.hcctech.ca", so it is registered.

Heeter

I ran a tracert on ns1.hcctech.ca, but it comes up nothing.

I ran a tracert on my domain (hcctech.ca) and it does pull up my IPAddress

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back