Need help removing heatsink

Eiji

OSNN Addict
I have a Thermaltake Volcano 7+ Varispeed HSF on my AMD Athlon XP 2000 CPU which is hooked up to a ASUS A7V333.

I've never removed a heatsink but I have installed a few.

The Volcano 7+ is a huge heatsink and I've read many people damaged their CPU in removing it.

Can anyone provide some good tips on removing this particular heavyweight heatsink+fan without damaging the CPU and what tools I would need?

Thanks.

If it wont come off by lifting it, dont be afraid to twist it... This will break the thermal greese or pad off the heatsink and cpu. Granted you will need to clean both before applying a new Heatsink and more greese. After you twist it to break the "seal" just lift it off.

If you are nervous then run the rig UNDER LOAD for at least an hour first - this will warm the compound and may make the separation a little easier.... I am surprised Lord did not remember this tip.... ;) :p

Its those darn Socket A clips of the Thermaltake that are very tight!

I don't want to end up damaging the socket or CPU.

I plan to replace it with the Coolermaster X-Dream III.

Use a screw driver or pair of small needle nose pliers to grab the clip and pull it down so it will slip past the tab on the socket (I prefer the pliers, less chance of a gouged MB).

Push down lightly on the hsf to keep the pressure on the CPU even while disengaging the clip. Do not tilt or rotate the HSF that will chip the edges of the cpu die!

Once the clip is off slowly release the pressure on the hsf and lift it off.

Last edited:
Mainframeguy said:
If you are nervous then run the rig UNDER LOAD for at least an hour first - this will warm the compound and may make the separation a little easier.... I am surprised Lord did not remember this tip.... ;) :p

Hehe you used that arctic silver branded super glue and screwed that zalman on the thing though :D

99% of the other HSFs in the world dont try and murder the guy taking them off :D

Talking of arctic silver... how much of it do you guys put on when installing a HSF? Is it a very thin layer or a thick layer?

Thin, all it is there to do is fill in the small voids in the surface of the heatsink. If you use more than you need it acts as an additional insulator.

Thanks for your help people.

Going to purchase the Coolermaster on Friday and hopefully I won't end up :dead:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back