Need Help - Horribly Low Performing PC

CerberusOz

OSNN Newbie
have just put together a new system, of which should be getting far far better performance than it is giving me.

I am getting AVG FPS of 16 in Company of hero's in-game benchmark using all settings on high at 1680x1050, min FPS of 4, max of 43.
I am getting FPS in oblivion inside the jail cell of 25 with all settings defaulted to high at 1680x1050.

The system is as follows.

XFX GeForce 8800 GTX - 97.44 firmware
Creative X-fi Extreme Music - latest driver
Asus P5B Deluxe - All drivers from CD installed
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Corsair 2gb PC4200(533) Ram, stock timings.
DirectX 9.0c
WD 400Gb SATA 2 16mb cache HDD

Windows XP Pro SP2 - all updates
Dell 20.1" E207WFP LCD Monitor
Linksys WMP54G Wireless NIC - latest firmware
Thermaltake 700W Toughpower PSU

My 3d mark05 score is 5353 , the framerates I am getting in ALL my games are dismally low for such a powerhouse of a computer, I simply cannot for the life of me understand why it is performing like this.

If anyone needs any more details re: the system, ask and I shall provide.

Someone please help me get this thing to perform as it should

cpuz.jpg

temp.jpg

Last edited:
Duno if this helps, but you might want to try narrowing the game to using just 1 single core on the processor as not all games currently support dual core processors.

The issue is resolved.
The latest drivers from nvidia (and subsequently the driver before 97.44) were completly screwing with the video card.
I at first uninstalled the 97.44 completly to go back one step. Ran 3dmark and got the same results.

So on a hunch, I uninstalled those drivers, and installed the ones that came with the video card.

3dmark05 gave me 16k marks.
115fps avg in company of heros @ 1680x1050, min of 50, max of 260 with everything on ultra, forced 16x AA / AF etc.

Avg fps in rainbow six vegas jumped from 15 to 110 at 1680x1050 with everything on max settings / forced 16x aa / af.

Made a big big difference.

The issue is resolved.
The latest drivers from nvidia (and subsequently the driver before 97.44) were completly screwing with the video card.
I at first uninstalled the 97.44 completly to go back one step. Ran 3dmark and got the same results.

So on a hunch, I uninstalled those drivers, and installed the ones that came with the video card.

3dmark05 gave me 16k marks.
115fps avg in company of heros @ 1680x1050, min of 50, max of 260 with everything on ultra, forced 16x AA / AF etc.

Avg fps in rainbow six vegas jumped from 15 to 110 at 1680x1050 with everything on max settings / forced 16x aa / af.

Made a big big difference.

Good thinking. :)
Glad to see you getting high fps on vegas... I read somewhere that that game kills the graphics cards even in SLi configuration. There was an article somewhere saying that the person could only get 15fps or something. Maybe they got the wrong drivers. lol :p

I dunno if this is a stupid question, but did you install the 8800 specific drivers?

little too late to the party scott!! :)

Duno if this helps, but you might want to try narrowing the game to using just 1 single core on the processor as not all games currently support dual core processors.
well, I see he's solved the problem, but ming, I think the scheduler does a spectacular job in xp and I really don't think limiting which processor gets used could help and would probably hurt

your suggestion could possibly help but I doubt it...I suppose it was worth trying and I would love to hear if someone could benchmark an impovement limiting the os to a single processor in a gaming situation

I would love to hear if someone could benchmark an impovement limiting the os to a single processor in a gaming situation

certain games stutter on dual core PCs, limiting them to one core (or installing AMD's dual core optimizer) fixes the problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back