Need Help For Opening Ports For A Server

pluto

OSNN Addict
Hey,

I am trying to run a DC++ hub, so far everything is configured correctly for it but the problem is, I cant connect to my hub and neither can anyone else. I keep getting this message:

*** Connecting to server.no-ip.org...
*** Connection refused by target machine

People have suggested opening ports on my router. I have check around the DC++ forums and this forum and found nothing to help me.

I have tried installing my router software but it informs me that there is no internet connection even though I have.

I have turned off the firewall (I have SP2) and disabled Zone Alarm.

So does anyone know how to open ports on a router?

Thanks.

you need to forward the port needed.

eg. I host websites, so I forward port 80 and 21 to 192.168.0.150 (my server)

Admiral Michael said:
you need to forward the port needed.

eg. I host websites, so I forward port 80 and 21 to 192.168.0.150 (my server)
How do I do that?

Well you would have to find out waht ports to forward, go into your router settings and look for port forwarding option.

Admiral Michael said:
Well you would have to find out waht ports to forward, go into your router settings and look for port forwarding option.
I pressume that would be done using the router software?

Hmm if so that aint possible. The software will not install due to the fact it does not detect that there is an internet connection.

Is there any other way this can be done?

I have a Linksys router.

For linksys, forward port 80 to the LAN IP of your server, I'm confused as to what router software you are talking about, do this in the config page http://192.168.1.1

j79zlr said:
For linksys, forward port 80 to the LAN IP of your server, I'm confused as to what router software you are talking about, do this in the config page http://192.168.1.1
Uh oh, thanks for the link but I dont have the username/password, argh! Ill have a look for that!

username is blank, password is 'admin'

Uh oh, I have no idea what the username and password is. Its been like 2 years since I looked at the config page!

Is there anyway to retrieve the username/password?

j79zlr said:
username is blank, password is 'admin'
I checked the manual and it has what you said but that does not work. Hmm Im using Firefox because the config page wont load up on IE6.

You can reset the router by hitting the reset button at the front, you have to hold it in for about 30 seconds. This will return it to factory defaults.

A-ok, done that now. Im on the config page now. So now to forward ports. How is that done? I need to forward ports to 411.

j79zlr said:
I'm confused as to what router software you are talking about, do this in the config page http://192.168.1.1

The recent routers (I kno linksys for sure) come with an easy software wizard thats supposed to make setting up your router easier. Id rather do it myself.

Linksys Royter: Click Advanced>Forwarding
Enter the info here, see attachment for sample

Admiral,

I think that J was wondering about router software, as in install in the computer as opposed to the user interface that gets accessed through the browser.

Heeter

Heeter said:
Admiral,

I think that J was wondering about router software, as in install in the computer as opposed to the user interface that gets accessed through the browser.

Heeter
I have a Linksys and I'm not aware of any "router software" to help setup the router except the browser interface.

-edit- Oh wait ... there was something on the cd that came w/ it that was utter junk I think :rolleyes:

That software is crap, you should learn how to use the broswer interface. And Yes Xie, its probably on the cd.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back