Need help fast! Pleeeeez

T

TekNo

I've got a big problem,
I use WinME and WinXP Pro on a duel boot. WinME=C:, WinXP=F.
I decided to do away with winME and deleted the C: partition with Partition magic 7.
When i rebooted i got a message "boot failure from previous device, Insert boot disk"
How can i get it to boot on WinXP without formatting etc ( i've got 18gbs of files in winXP and don't want to lose them.

C: was primary partition and F: is logical

by deleting your winme on c: you have destroyed your boot record. I dont know if this can be solved, but try to boot to dos with a 98 boot floppy and edit your boot.ini or try the recovery console on the xp cd and at the consol type fix mbr or something :)

im not very agile with partitioning, but i have used PM 7. im guessing you could try one of these:
1) reinstall xp (WITHOUT UNINSTALLING THE OTHER ONE) and make another "c" partition, then read the "f" xp partition and swap everything to the "c"

or

2) use your partition magic emergency diskettes and try to see if its possible to transfer the "f" partition to a "c" primary one

hope it helps,
Apu

Your going to have to boot from the XP CD and go to the recovery console and re-build the MBR by running the “FIXMBR” utility and “BOOTCFG”.

Thanks for the help peeps. It turned out that the hard drive was faulty (intermittent) Had to buy a new one and start again.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back