Need Help, can't take ownership

Grbtek

OSNN Newbie
I'll try to make this short, I have customer who wants his HDD Backup and reinstalled, his HDD doesn't boot anymore, so I connected the HDD into another PC as a slave, but his files are protected, and windows doesn't let me take ownership of the files and/or directories, I get a message "access denied", anyone knows other way to copy those files?

In windows Explorer the directory shows in a green font.

hi

access safemode and choose admin account

navigate to the locked directory and right click and take over ownership.

the only problem you can have is if the user has encrypted the files. when you copy them they will be scrambled and you need the pgp decrypt key.

Right Click on the Folder
Select Properties from the drop down menu
In the Properties window click on the Security tab
If a Security message appears then click OK
Next click Advanced and click on the Owner tab
A name list will now appear
Click your name or that of Administrator if you are logged on as Administrator
If you should wish to take ownership of the full contents of the folder then click the Replace Owner on sub-containers and objects check box
Now click OK
A message will now appear stating: "You do not have permission to read the contents of directory folder name. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?" "All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes."

Press Yes
Finally click OK and then re-apply and security setting etc that you want for the folder.

If you need to take control of a File then proceed as follows:

Right Click on the Folder
Select Properties from the drop down menu
In the Properties window click on the Security tab
If a Security message appears then click OK
Next click Advanced and click on the Owner tab
A name list will now appear
Click the Administrator name or group and then click OK
Now click Add
In the Enter the object names to select list type the user or group account you want to give access to the file, i.e., Administrator
Next click OK
The Group or User name list now appears
Click on the account you want to use and then click on the permissions you want to assign
Finally Click OK

That didn't work the folder doesn't let me take ownership, but thanks for the reply

I did everything, step by step, but after the process of taking ownership I stiil don't have rights to the files, the customer told that had Deep Freeze installed in the computer, that could be the reason qhy I can't get the ownership?

i recommend cloning hid drive on to another hard drive for safe keeping and try to repair the boot of the bad drive
if all goes well you can get access to the drive and save the files.

if you don't backup the partition onto another drive you may permanently loose the files if they are encrypted

best bet is to try to get the drive working.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back