need headphone switchbox for 5.1 sys

_kC_

OSNN Senior Addict
hi.. amlooking for a device for a freind who has a creative audigy 2 7.1 soundcard, and a cheapy 5.1 soundsystem.. the speakers/sub dont have a headphone out.

i told him to just buy a new better set.. but he aint so keen..

is there any devices which he could put between the audigy's minijack out and the minijack input of speakers?

or cos his system is only using 3 of the 6 minijacks
1 - L/R
2 - C/Sub
3 - SL/SR

can any of the other spare jacksockets be used as headphone socket?

cheers

Not good. I did a quick web search and nobody seems to have made a 5 channel switch unit. They are mostly stereo with 2 RCA plugs instead of the mini stereo connectors.

If he uses the extra outputs he won't get all of the sound information into his headsets and he will still have the speakers blasting in the background.

Best bet would be to use 3 sets of stereo switch boxes (up to 6 signals) and buy adapter cables to go from mini stereo to RCA Phono and back. This will get ugly and pricey.

Plan B would be to do what you suggested, blow off the 5.1 sound, and just get a set of stereo speakers with a headphone jack.

I wonder why nobody thought to build a software controlled switch system and a set of headphone outputs into their AUDIO cards? Or has someone?

Just get a mini jack splitter and put it in the L/R jack of theaudigy.. they should be available at your local electronics store..

Or he can get some Kinyo KY-100 5.1 headphones that come with an external amp with speaker pass through..

Yeah, what sickboi, said. Just talked to a friend who is doing just that. Splitter is $3 at radio shack. Just turn the speaker power off when not in use (duh, I forgot speakers have built in amps).

Sound quality won't be as good as if audio card was set to "using headphones" but you get the privacy (or noise reduction).

1) You would need a switch that not only splits the signal but does a 5.1 to 2 channel downmix.

2) I believe you can set the card up so that it outputs a stereo signal on the unused outputs.

nah he doesnt want the 5.1 in headphones.... just stereo...

will try that splitter idea, seems cheap enuff for my cheap freind:p

thx guys

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back