Need DVD Driver

GMeagle86

OSNN Addict
Hi,
I can't find a driver for my DVD drive. It isn't working because I don't think it has the right driver. It isn't a brand name dvd drive, and is a couple of years old(3 I think). Is there a generic driver that would work with it? All the info I have is that it is an IDE 16x DVD-Rom drive. Any ides? Thanks!

head on over to rpc1.org download the disc info utility in the utility page, then post info about the device, u can try upgrading the firmware, go somewhere in the menu and say find firmware it will search and try to find the firmware

You mean this?

DISCINFO VERSION : 1.5.5.9
VENDOR : IDE
MODEL : DVD-ROM 16X
REVISION : 3.10
LOADING MECHANISM : Tray
NUMBER VOL. LEVELS : 255
BUFFER SIZE : 512KB
INTERFACE : ATAPI
RPC2 SCHEME : YES
USER CHANGES : 4
VENDOR CHANGES : 4
CURRENT REGION : 1
ANALOG AUDIO PLAY : YES
COMPOSITE OUTPUT : NO
DIGITAL PORT-PORT1 : NO
DIGITAL PORT-PORT2 : NO
READ UPC CODE : YES
MULTISESSION READ : YES
MODE 2 FORM 1 : YES
MODE 2 FORM 2 : YES
READ ISRC CODE : YES
READ BAD CODE : NO
BUFFER UNDER-RUN : NO
MT. RAINIER : NO
CAN READ CDR : YES
CAN READ CDRW : YES
CAN READ CDRM2 : YES
CAN WRITE CDR : NO
CAN WRITE CDRW : NO
CAN TEST WRITE : NO
CAN READ DVD-ROM : YES
CAN READ DVD-R : YES
CAN READ DVD-RW : YES
CAN READ DVD-RAM : NO
CAN READ DVD+R : NO
CAN READ DVD+RW : NO
CAN WRITE DVD-R : NO
CAN WRITE DVD-RW : NO
CAN WRITE DVD-RAM : NO
CAN WRITE DVD+R : NO
CAN WRITE DVD+RW : NO
MAX CDR READ SPEED : 40

opps, yeah thats the program, just click on the find firmware it will open the rpc1.org site, if u cant find the right firmware, take ur drive out and read the info on the stickers, like who the actual manufacturer is and the model number.

I did download DISC Info version 1.5.5
and I got that info by telling it to save the data, then opening it in notepad. here is the info it comes up with just on the screen.

Firmware version: 3.10
DVD-ROM Device
Drive region status: Lock detected
Region settings staus: Set
User Changes left: 4
Manufactor resets left: 4
Current region set: 1
Read speed: 40x

try taking it out of ur pc like i said, and seeing if theres any manufacturer like toshiba msi etc

GMeagle86 said:
Hi,
I can't find a driver for my DVD drive. It isn't working because I don't think it has the right driver. It isn't a brand name dvd drive, and is a couple of years old(3 I think). Is there a generic driver that would work with it? All the info I have is that it is an IDE 16x DVD-Rom drive. Any ides? Thanks!

First of all which OS are you using? Any OS after Win ME does not need a special driver for a DVD rom. Judging from the information from your drive it is working properly. What are you trying to use the DVD for? What you may need is a DVD movie decoder (MPEG2), one is not built into Windows if you have to play movies on the cheep look up Kazaalite kodec pack. It includes a dvd decoder that will work in Windows Media player to play DVD's....

I am using Windows XP Pro. All I am trying to do is to play a DVD. I have CyberLink PowerDVD but it doesn't recognized my dvd which is in the drive. Even in my computer, after I put in the dvd, and double click on the drive, it says "Please insert a disk in the drive." It will work fine with a CD in the drive, but won't play DVD's.

ok that probably means the laser is dying or needs to be cleaned, try cleaning it, and also upgrading the firmware if u find out what brand and model it really is

Did this problem just begin or did you just get this drive? Also are you running that latest version of powerdvd?

yeah if my computer cant detect ur dvd rom then ur drive is messed up doesnt matter which version of power dvd u have, try cleaning the lens, and updating the firmware

Any guides on how to clean the lens? The drive did work for a while, I think it stopped working as a DVD drive, when I had to reformat my computer once, and then start over. I don't ever think the correct drivers were reinstalled and I can't find the CD or where they would be stored at. The Computer was build by a manufacturer, and I think it is just an generic dvd drive. I will open the case and look at who made it just to be sure when I have time.

if it can read CDs but no DVDs try updating the firmware i have a friend who had the same problem in a way but with a CD writer, he could only burn cds but not read them i updated his frimware and voila it was working great

You don't need drivers for a DVD in XP. They are built in.

With the power off
- Disconnect the IDE and power cables to the DVD.
- Boot the computer and once windows is up shut down.
- Reconnect the cables to the DVD.
- Reboot
Windows will now find the "new" DVD drive and reinstall the drivers.

This should work. After the reformat windows may not have ID'd the drive and loaded the drivers correctly.

well instead of doing all of this just go to device manager and update the driver from there it's faster

FishBoy said:
well instead of doing all of this just go to device manager and update the driver from there it's faster

I tried that, and it isn't working. When I choose to manually choose the driver I want to update, it just comes up with a bunch of CD drivers no dvd. Is there a standard DVD driver anywhere?

I will try to open my case and look at what type it is, but it will be a while. Isn't there any quicker way?

FishBoy said:

its not the same as, removing the device physically

You could go into device manager and just temp. disable the other drive(s) (optical only) so that your only left w/ your DVD drive to choose from. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back