need a smartphone.. advice please

Ok im looking for a new smart phone. Really what i want is the ability to you email, instant mess, and a decent web browser (maybe). Id like ti to be sleek compact and sexy never hurts. PRice 300-500 and im stuck with T-Mobile. Any ideas?

Ok im looking for a new smart phone. Really what i want is the ability to you email, instant mess, and a decent web browser (maybe). Id like ti to be sleek compact and sexy never hurts. PRice 300-500 and im stuck with T-Mobile. Any ideas?
Cingular 8525.
I hear its amazing, and you can get it unlocked within ur price range.

Or.
The Tmobile MDA
I hear that is good as well.
Pretty much the same as the 8125

Cingular 8525 hands down. I can personally vouch for this item as it's the bomb. Madmatt has it as well and also loves it.

I really only started with a smartphone about a year ago. People always want to look at it and such, ask what it costs, etc. Honestly, the money is all worth it, and I can't even imagine how I would get along without it these days. The ability to have my e-mail, calendar, contacts and get instant notifications of occurences makes me money all the time. If I'm not available in a pinch, I could lose a customer.

Cingular 8525 hands down. I can personally vouch for this item as it's the bomb. Madmatt has it as well and also loves it.

I really only started with a smartphone about a year ago. People always want to look at it and such, ask what it costs, etc. Honestly, the money is all worth it, and I can't even imagine how I would get along without it these days. The ability to have my e-mail, calendar, contacts and get instant notifications of occurences makes me money all the time. If I'm not available in a pinch, I could lose a customer.
Thats two for the 8525.
:)
Im gonna get it so...

If you can find an unlocked Cingular 8525 within your price range, go for it. If you prefer something slimmer, but with an exposed keyboard, I've also been hearing good things about the Samsung Blackjack recently; you'll have to give up the touchscreen ability though.

If neither of those are within your budget, the T-Mobile MDA is also a great choice. I use it myself, and it's basically a predecessor to the 8525 with a slower processor, and no HSDPA radio (since T-Mo doesn't have a 3G network in place, you won't notice the difference for now).

Some people prefer the more traditional, candybar smartphones like the T-Mobile SDA or the Cingular 3125, but I find that you really have to pay the penalty of a much smaller screen size in return for a more compact device. It's up to you to decide what you think is more important to you.

If you can find an unlocked Cingular 8525 within your price range, go for it. If you prefer something slimmer, but with an exposed keyboard, I've also been hearing good things about the Samsung Blackjack recently; you'll have to give up the touchscreen ability though.

If neither of those are within your budget, the T-Mobile MDA is also a great choice. I use it myself, and it's basically a predecessor to the 8525 with a slower processor, and no HSDPA radio (since T-Mo doesn't have a 3G network in place, you won't notice the difference for now).

Some people prefer the more traditional, candybar smartphones like the T-Mobile SDA or the Cingular 3125, but I find that you really have to pay the penalty of a much smaller screen size in return for a more compact device. It's up to you to decide what you think is more important to you.
Mmmm,
The MDA is basically the 8125...
I think he could find an unlocked 8525 for 500 on ebay...
It would take looking, but i think he could find it.
I was also considering the blackjack, looks really cool, but i want a touch screen.

Any other place that sells the 8525 and or the blackjack unlocked other than ebay?

anyone have or know someone with this? T-Mobile Dash

Edit: Any one use this? Pearl

Last edited:
The Dash is similar to the Blackjack in that it runs the "Smartphone" edition of Windows Mobile 5 rather than the "Pocket PC" edition, but has the benefit of a larger QVGA display that Pocket PCs have, minus the touchscreen. The innards of the Dash are similar to that of the MDA - a ~200MHz CPU and EDGE, but no HSDPA.

I don't personally know anyone with a Dash, but I've seen a number of people on campus with them recently. I think you'll like it if you prefer slimmer devices with exposed keyboards. Google up some reviews and see what people have to say about it.

If you have to pick between the Dash and the MDA (or even the 8525 and the Blackjack), my suggestion is to go to the nearest store and play with the demo units. After all, the biggest difference between them (other than the touchscreen) is the form-factor, and it's always best if you decide which type you're more comfortable with. Beyond that, you can't go wrong with a Windows Mobile device if you're looking for a smartphone. :)

Thanks NetRyder

Ok now im really liking the T-Mobile SDA and the T-Mobile Dash

I need to play with them like you said but i think the SDA would be easier on the pocket. Im not sure how much of a diffrence to me a Querty keyboard would make.. And the bat life for this seems much better.

Last edited:
Not a problem. :)

Just something I should mention - in your first post, you indicated that you're looking for something for email, IMs and web stuff. If that's still the case, I'm not so sure the SDA would be the most suitable pick. For email and IM, you'll probably find having a full keyboard faster and more convenient compared to using the numberpad with T9-assist. Also, all mobile web browsers can scale down pages to a single-column layout, but I think you would appreciate having a larger QVGA screen for web stuff, and most other things in general.

I'm not discouraging you from going with the SDA, but just letting you know that it's suited for a different purpose. :) I had a candybar-style Nokia smartphone (Symbian-based though) for a couple of years before I got my MDA, and I ended up using it more as a read-only device because I found the keypad too slow as a mode of input. If you've already been texting (SMS) a lot on a regular phone, you might have picked up speed, in which case it might not be as much of a problem with T9. It's up to you, really.

Let us know if you have any other questions. :)

Not a problem. :)

Just something I should mention - in your first post, you indicated that you're looking for something for email, IMs and web stuff. If that's still the case, I'm not so sure the SDA would be the most suitable pick. For email and IM, you'll probably find having a full keyboard faster and more convenient compared to using the numberpad with T9-assist. Also, all mobile web browsers can scale down pages to a single-column layout, but I think you would appreciate having a larger QVGA screen for web stuff, and most other things in general.

I'm not discouraging you from going with the SDA, but just letting you know that it's suited for a different purpose. :) I had a candybar-style Nokia smartphone (Symbian-based though) for a couple of years before I got my MDA, and I ended up using it more as a read-only device because I found the keypad too slow as a mode of input. If you've already been texting (SMS) a lot on a regular phone, you might have picked up speed, in which case it might not be as much of a problem with T9. It's up to you, really.

Let us know if you have any other questions. :)

Yah i am decently fast with the smart keyboards but i need to go to the store tomorrow and figure out which one i want.

Yah i am decently fast with the smart keyboards but i need to go to the store tomorrow and figure out which one i want.
The Pearl is great.
I would have mentioned it, but i didnt really think it was a smart phone.
I know someone whos had the pearl for a few months, they really like it.

if you have a laptop, one suggestion

whatever you get, no matter how high the technology, if it can't act as a modem to the internet, skip it

when you do get the phone that can double as a mode, get an unlimited internet plan on your carrier and wherever you get a phone signal, free internet...no need for hot spot

my fav

Last edited:
OK after looking at everything im really thinking of a T-mobile MDA.

I liked the touch screen aspect and it was smaller that i thought it was. NetRyder can you give me some insights into the Pros and Cons in your experience.

OK after looking at everything im really thinking of a T-mobile MDA.

I liked the touch screen aspect and it was smaller that i thought it was. NetRyder can you give me some insights into the Pros and Cons in your experience.
Yeah, the pictures are a little deceptive. I really like the feel of the MDA - the size and the rounded edges make it fit well in my hand. :)

It's hard for me to come up with a comprehensive pros/cons list on the spot, but here are some things that I like - the large, clear display; a "clean" exterior (few buttons on the front; keyboard hidden, but there when you need it), good battery life for a device of its class, and most importantly - the versatility. There are literally thousands of apps out there for WM5 to extend the functionality of the device, and many of them are almost must-haves, in my opinion.
I also feel that WM5 really shines when coupled with an Exchange account (seamless, over-the-air sync of all your PIM data is just impressive), but if you don't have one, it's no big deal.

Cons...well, the lack of 3G data is probably the biggest one for me, but even if the MDA had a HSDPA radio, T-Mo doesn't have a 3G network in place yet. The slower TI OMAP850 processor in the MDA is not a significant con, since the device is adequately responsive, but my Treo 700wx with a faster processor definitely feels more snappy. On the flip side, the lack of a 3G radio and a slower processor also translate to better battery life - my MDA holds charge for a *lot* longer than my 700wx does, so in some sense, I think it's a better "everyday-phone."

Other cons...well, the camera's picture quality is terrible. Don't expect to ever use it, really. Not a big deal for me, but I thought I should mention it in case it's important to you.

Also, one-handed operation is a little more difficult on touchscreen devices like the MDA compared to traditional candybar smartphones at first, but you'll get used to it, and there are some excellent free, third-party tools that help to mitigate this problem. Within a couple of weeks, you'll be navigating this thing with one finger like a pro. :) If you decide on the MDA or something similar like the 8525, let me know, and I'll point you to some of these apps.

Any other specific questions?

Yeah, the pictures are a little deceptive. I really like the feel of the MDA - the size and the rounded edges make it fit well in my hand. :)

It's hard for me to come up with a comprehensive pros/cons list on the spot, but here are some things that I like - the large, clear display; a "clean" exterior (few buttons on the front; keyboard hidden, but there when you need it), good battery life for a device of its class, and most importantly - the versatility. There are literally thousands of apps out there for WM5 to extend the functionality of the device, and many of them are almost must-haves, in my opinion.
I also feel that WM5 really shines when coupled with an Exchange account (seamless, over-the-air sync of all your PIM data is just impressive), but if you don't have one, it's no big deal.

Cons...well, the lack of 3G data is probably the biggest one for me, but even if the MDA had a HSDPA radio, T-Mo doesn't have a 3G network in place yet. The slower TI OMAP850 processor in the MDA is not a significant con, since the device is adequately responsive, but my Treo 700wx with a faster processor definitely feels more snappy. On the flip side, the lack of a 3G radio and a slower processor also translate to better battery life - my MDA holds charge for a *lot* longer than my 700wx does, so in some sense, I think it's a better "everyday-phone."

Other cons...well, the camera's picture quality is terrible. Don't expect to ever use it, really. Not a big deal for me, but I thought I should mention it in case it's important to you.

Also, one-handed operation is a little more difficult on touchscreen devices like the MDA compared to traditional candybar smartphones at first, but you'll get used to it, and there are some excellent free, third-party tools that help to mitigate this problem. Within a couple of weeks, you'll be navigating this thing with one finger like a pro. :) If you decide on the MDA or something similar like the 8525, let me know, and I'll point you to some of these apps.

The pics of the 8525 are deceptive too.
I always thought it was a huge phone, but its not really that much bigger than mine.

Hmm yah im thinking of getting this if you can pop off a list of the coolest aps you use that would be nice.

The 8525, 8125, and the MDA are not SmartPhones. They are PocketPC Phones.

The Blackjack, 3125, SDA, and Dash are SmartPhones.

There is a difference.

I've read very good things about the Blackjack and Dash. Stay away from the Moto Q.

The 8525, 8125, and the MDA are not SmartPhones. They are PocketPC Phones.

The Blackjack, 3125, SDA, and Dash are SmartPhones.

There is a difference.

I've read very good things about the Blackjack and Dash. Stay away from the Moto Q.

What is the difference in your opinion?

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back