Need a replacement laptop cdrw/dvd drive

failurbydesign

music MUSIC music
Political Access
I workin on my b uddys Toshiba laptop, its a Satellite 2435-s255. The drive is a TEAC dw-224e. Ive looked on ebay and just through google and found they are kinda $$$$. I was wondering if anyone new of a website or maybe another drive i could use. Also i just noticed one of the two fans is broken...i need to fix that as well...

There was a thread on that where I found a reasonably priced place with good selection. Can't find it now...

All the places I am finding are $180-$230 for a cd/dvd combo. Except for this at $146 -
http://www.superwarehouse.com/Laptop_Accessories/cab/1912

At those prices I'm thinking usb external, lol.

Pull the unit and see if the real manufacturers name and part number is on it. Searching from the manufacturer should be cheaper, unless it really is a TEAC made drive.

Last edited:
Yea its a TEAC CW-224e...what a bust....maybe just ebay it..you would think there would be other drives that COULD fit into the bay

They could fit and they might actually work. It all depends on if TEAC used a proprietary interface to the drive. If it is a standard laptop IDE interface it might be able to use any brand.

Got another laptop you can pull the drive out of and try it?

Make sure the cables are identical before trying it.

Example of some of the things they do on laptops:
http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=426475

If you compare the optical drive interface let us know what you find. There is nothing on the web about this. There are dozens of sites on adapting laptop HD's.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back