need a recommendation please

belveder

OSNN Senior Addict
Could someone please recommend a program that would solve the following program please.

I have two computers, both networked through my router. I have the main computer and the kids have the networked computer. The problem is that I want to be able to turn of downloading on the other computer but still let them have access to the internet for their homework, chatting etc.

Is their a program that will do this?

Any help appreciated

I have not tried any myself so I can't guarantee them.

Freeware, only works with internet explorer:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Popup-Ad-Spyware-Blockers/Download-Blocker.shtml

Then install zonealarm and password protect it so they can't add alternate browsers that could allow file transfers.

There are things you can do within windows to cripple their ability to mess up the computer also. You can change the file system permissions on the kids accounts so they don't have write permission. But then they won't be able to save data files either. That could cut into their homework. The fix would be get them each a thumb drive to save homework to. Prices are in the $20 USD range for 256MB now. Not sure about Australian pricing. Make sure the thumb drives are not "U3". "U3" have are designed to run and install programs from.

But remember that any software protection system can be cracked by a motivated 10 year old who knows how to spell google.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back