need a mobo under budget

the_music_man

aka prodj88 =P
Hi I need help choosing a mobo. My budget is around 70 bucks. I basically just need one that can support socket A and has atleast 3 places for DDR Ram. Is the nforce 2 chip worth it??? I"ve seen a lot with them. Whats the diff between them and KT's and VIA's???

This one personally caught me eye b/c it has geforce 4mx onboard which is good enough for me. trust me

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-138-234&catalog=22&depa=1

nForce 2 is the only way to go right now, both are good boards. Just remember the onboard video will use some of your memory for itself.... so you will lose some Ram

Edited for Stupidity

prodj88 said:
Hi I need help choosing a mobo. My budget is around 70 bucks. I basically just need one that can support socket A and has atleast 3 places for DDR Ram. Is the nforce 2 chip worth it??? I"ve seen a lot with them. Whats the diff between them and KT's and VIA's???

This one personally caught me eye b/c it has geforce 4mx onboard which is good enough for me. trust me

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-138-234&catalog=22&depa=1

via chipset for the athlon socket a boards is basically ktxxx... so kt333/400/400a and kt600 are all via chipsets... its their naming convention..

the nvidia convention uses the nforce term and most mobo makers include and N in the mobo name to denote the chipset...

for socket A the nforce2 chipset is better but if you need an IGP... go with the biostar in your first link...

keep in mind that the first board is a micro-atx form factor v/s a full-sized atx form factor for the a7n8x...

both are nice boards, i personally would go for the Asus over the biostar...for the only reason that the Asus has a larger/better reputation than biostar :)

i like my a7n8x-deluxe, but seriously, i dont notice the SoundStorm, and i dont use Sata, or SCSI..

dubstar said:
i like my a7n8x-deluxe, but seriously, i dont notice the SoundStorm, and i dont use Sata, or SCSI..
your board doesn't have scsi. you mean firewire or raid or something?

Goatman said:
Avoid PC Chips like it's the plague!

The dude said budget and that is the cheapest they have .. The reviews they give it are good. I was suprised , I ordered one myself to try out in my file server. I figure if it dies or turns out to be garbage then I did'nt waste much money on it :)

Then if it don't work I'll get another asus stat..

PCchips is what a friend of mine uses for his 4 PCs at home and the 10-20 he sells a year. No problems at all.

If your going budget PCchips is a good choice.

just be sure when you buy your mobo that you make sure it fits properly... make sure all the holes line up to the posts in the case and take out all that don't get screws or you will short the board out.

ack...urgh!!!!!!!! I forgot that i have to do the whole pc once i get a mobo. im not good @ this stuff! :( are there any case + mobo combos out there? bah.

you gotta learn sometime... where do you think we all started :)

its not all a bed of roses m8... gotta start somewhere...

btw... RTFM... :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back