need a mobo under budget

the_music_man

aka prodj88 =P
Hi I need help choosing a mobo. My budget is around 70 bucks. I basically just need one that can support socket A and has atleast 3 places for DDR Ram. Is the nforce 2 chip worth it??? I"ve seen a lot with them. Whats the diff between them and KT's and VIA's???

This one personally caught me eye b/c it has geforce 4mx onboard which is good enough for me. trust me

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-138-234&catalog=22&depa=1

Goatman

Ska Daddy
nForce 2 is the only way to go right now, both are good boards. Just remember the onboard video will use some of your memory for itself.... so you will lose some Ram

Edited for Stupidity

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
prodj88 said:
Hi I need help choosing a mobo. My budget is around 70 bucks. I basically just need one that can support socket A and has atleast 3 places for DDR Ram. Is the nforce 2 chip worth it??? I"ve seen a lot with them. Whats the diff between them and KT's and VIA's???

This one personally caught me eye b/c it has geforce 4mx onboard which is good enough for me. trust me

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-138-234&catalog=22&depa=1
via chipset for the athlon socket a boards is basically ktxxx... so kt333/400/400a and kt600 are all via chipsets... its their naming convention..

the nvidia convention uses the nforce term and most mobo makers include and N in the mobo name to denote the chipset...

for socket A the nforce2 chipset is better but if you need an IGP... go with the biostar in your first link...

keep in mind that the first board is a micro-atx form factor v/s a full-sized atx form factor for the a7n8x...

sean.ferguson

OSNN Veteran Addict
both are nice boards, i personally would go for the Asus over the biostar...for the only reason that the Asus has a larger/better reputation than biostar :)

dubstar

format c:
i like my a7n8x-deluxe, but seriously, i dont notice the SoundStorm, and i dont use Sata, or SCSI..

Taurus

hardware monkey
dubstar said:
i like my a7n8x-deluxe, but seriously, i dont notice the SoundStorm, and i dont use Sata, or SCSI..
your board doesn't have scsi. you mean firewire or raid or something?

Johnny

.. Commodore ..
Political User
Goatman said:
Avoid PC Chips like it's the plague!
The dude said budget and that is the cheapest they have .. The reviews they give it are good. I was suprised , I ordered one myself to try out in my file server. I figure if it dies or turns out to be garbage then I did'nt waste much money on it :)

Then if it don't work I'll get another asus stat..

LeeJend

OSNN Veteran Addict
PCchips is what a friend of mine uses for his 4 PCs at home and the 10-20 he sells a year. No problems at all.

If your going budget PCchips is a good choice.

Taggert_LOA

Modding Addict
Political User
just be sure when you buy your mobo that you make sure it fits properly... make sure all the holes line up to the posts in the case and take out all that don't get screws or you will short the board out.

the_music_man

aka prodj88 =P
ack...urgh!!!!!!!! I forgot that i have to do the whole pc once i get a mobo. im not good @ this stuff! :( are there any case + mobo combos out there? bah.

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
you gotta learn sometime... where do you think we all started :)

its not all a bed of roses m8... gotta start somewhere...

btw... RTFM... :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey ep!

All good with me, applying for microsoft mvp right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by comming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier, mine is perriscalderon at gmail
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelPowers