Need a bit of help/advise

osnnuser007

OSNN Newbie
Our company forces us to use no screensavers. I presume this is done by restricting us on user profile. How do I get around that if possible? I am running XP sp2.

who needs a screensaver anyway? I was under the impression that modern day screens don't need saving... (though I can see the ghost of my taskbar even if I move mine)

hello osnn user...welcome to this board

don't you think they'd fire you if they found you with a screen saver after they dissabled it?...it is their computer after all

Well don't like to sound uncaring, but if they told you that's what you should do.
They must have a policy, you might be contracted to their policy and they might sack you if you don't conform to their rules.

They should allow screensavers as if you are away from the puter for a walk around break, as more than 20 minutes at a time staring at the screen can cause stress on eyes, typing too much without a break can put stress on joints and give you headaches and irregular sleep paterns, also ruin their screens.

Take it up with your union if you're not in a union go seek some free legal advice at your C.A.B., citizens advice bureau, as if you start suffering from boughts of illness caused by these devices they will get heavily fined and have to pay you a lot of cash.

I would suppose they have a reason for disabling screensavers. To bypass a company's policy would be a forum guideline violation. If you have such an issue go see the network admin as he is the one who enabled this policy.
Side note: the computer DOSENT belong to you and I hope you get caught.

Side note: the computer DOSENT belong to you and I hope you get caught.
Thats a bit harsh Pseudo
But I know what you mean. At my work we dont allow users to do anything with there profiles. No backgrounds and only the default screensaver in XP.

ZeroHour said:
Thats a bit harsh Pseudo
But I know what you mean. At my work we dont allow users to do anything with there profiles. No backgrounds and only the default screensaver in XP.

I used to be a network admin ... ppl trying to bypass any security the was deemed needed was a big waste of my time trying to enforce it. When ppl decided to download and install the kewl screensaver and it turns out to be a lovely little virus I was the one who had to spend time eradicating it from the network I was the one who had to deal with ppl calling me asking why their computer was running so slow and why they were getting all the pop ups ... all so they could watch a screen saver. Install it on you own computer.

Thanks Zero, I though that was a bit harsh too, After all, I did ask for advice. For a new guy (with beginner status) at this forum I felt extremely welcome after that remark...

Pseudo I run a school network.
Its a nightmare with kiddies trying to hack everthing. Can see what ya saying, just though the comment about how you hoped he would get sacked was a bit harsh :eek: ;)

osnnuser007 said:
Thanks Zero, I though that was a bit harsh too, After all, I did ask for advice. For a new guy (with beginner status) at this forum I felt extremely welcome after that remark...

did you even bother to read the forum guidelines?? do you care how things are run around here?? I mean your welcome here but seems very shady and obvious when someone asks how they can defeat a security policy on a companys network/computer... especially since you dont own the computer.

ZeroHour said:
Pseudo I run a school network.
Its a nightmare with kiddies trying to hack everthing. Can see what ya saying, just though the comment about how you hoped he would get sacked was a bit harsh :eek: ;)

like I said ... if you had one of the 'kiddies' asking how to bypass a security policy how would you be. Since its his/her first post just means he/she didnt read the guidelines. If he/she is asking total strangers on a forum they just joined makes me wonder what else they have done already to bypass security and have been either successful or unsuccessful at doing.
Harsh .. maybe but bypassing security is a nasty little topic and for someone to disreguard it is wrong. Do a search on this forum for spyware malware popups virus and similar items. You will find lots of ppl with these issues of rougue programs being installed. Ask them about bypassing security and get back to me.

Welcome back Mr pseudo glad to see you're back to the super top form like we know and luv :)

{He is so sexy when he is angry!}​

Point taken, had no "undermining",devious or whatever bad ideas you might have thought in mind. I wanted to use the screensaver that displayed the time. That was my agenda. So if I have offended you in any way, sorry about that.

Lee said:
Welcome back Mr pseudo glad to see you're back to the super top form like we know and luv :)

{He is so sexy when he is angry!}​

just trying to keep some ppl honest.

Angry?? Me?? no way. Just trying to point out some things.

osnnuser007 said:
Point taken, had no "undermining",devious or whatever bad ideas you might have thought in mind. I wanted to use the screensaver that displayed the time. That was my agenda. So if I have offended you in any way, sorry about that.

if you decide to stick around and partake of what these forums have to offer (and I truley hope you do) you will find I am an old crotchity bastard/son of a bitch... Security is a sore point with me.
I would suggest you ask you network admin ... asking him would get a better response and not jepordise you job. He says yes then your golden. Dont ask him and manage to get it installed and then they find out (and they will eventually) you might get sacked. Dont risk it. Its not worth it. Trust me.
Hope to see you around more. Sorry I came off like a bull in a china shop but I am not noted for my subtlety

That's OK, I suppose I did ask the wrong question at the wrong time with harmless intent. Will stick around to see how others get your "wrath" :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back