NEC ND-1100A What is it ?

W

Womble

HI,
A few weeks ago, I was looking around for a cheap DVD re-writer and came across this NEC which I'm sure boasted writing to + and - formats on DVD and CD.
Now I'm looking to actually buy it, everywhere shows it as only the + format.
Am I going nuts ?
Does anyone have one ?

Thanks,
Womble

I think the 1100 only takes one format (+) but the 1300 can take both + and -.

They are two different competing standards. + seems to be the better and winning, but - is so far cheaper. There is also a third standard, DVD-RAM.

I don't have any details on the differences but it has been discussed here before.

Here have a look under the cdrom heading after the page has loaded it tells you what format NEC drives handle corresponding to their model number...LINKAGE and with prices.

I have the ND-1100a from DELL. It came in a machine for work and I threw it in my own machine "Non-Dell" of course and it works fine. I upgraded the firmware and uses DVDXCOPY and make perfect movies in about 30mins. I've used the DVD+RW discs just to see if thye come out fine and they do perfectly. I havent tried the DVD+R discs yet but they burn faster at 4x instead of 2.4x in DVD+RW mode. I love the drive but eventually would like something quicker when they improve speeds. Nothing like 1 Disc holding 4.7Gb of space! I backup my image for my pc on 1 DVD like a charm.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back