NB fan died :( need advice.

ok MY NB fan died on my an7 mobo.. i reboot all of a sudden my mobo goes nutts with beeps stops when i check uguru (monitoring prog) and i see that my NB fan is set to off. i check it in the case and its not turning did all the normaly diagnostics on it and yes the fan is dead.

ok. here is the advice i need.

1. Ok how safe am i running this mobo 24-7 with the fan off?
My comp is running at
CPU: 91.4 F
SYS: 75 F

this will stay this way if the weather holds. but yesterday while playing half life 2 my cpu was 114 but it was warmer outside.

2. Where in the hell do i even start looking for a replacement..

btw here is a pic of my mobo. http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=158

any ideas would help **** just keeps on breaking lol today i brok ea 500 dollar plate of my mothers at the big dinner and the washmachine hehe sigh.

DON'T run your system without a NB fan. I had the same problem you had (busted fan) and I kept the system running for an hour or so, when it completely died. The NB chip was hotter than hell and my system refused to startup. It's best to buy a new cooler and/or heatsink for your NB chip, before using your system.

You can get a chipset fan like a Blue Orb, etc that will work great.

i went ahead and ordered the one above. for 15 including shipping. sigh only prob people say is its a pin to install . i allways like bigger and better fans so hehe. oh well. dropped my airconditioning to 60 (its 69 outside) so my cpu is running at 93 and my syst is running at 75 so i think i will be ok temp wise i dont really have the option of leaving the comp off. so we will see.

yah but it cheap my time wise just to order that hehe. that is cool though hehe.

Wow 93 is really high, are you sure your case fans are doing their job? While I see that your processor is a 2600+, my house is set to 73 degrees F and my case stays at 38 degrees C with processor at 47C under full load. This is with a AMD 2100+

um if you are running (full load)
case 38C = 100.4 F
Procc 47C= 116.6 F

Mine is running at (full load)
Case: 82.5F
PS: 96.0 F
Procc: 104.0 F

Mine is running at (no load)
Case: 82.4 F
PS: 96.8 F
Procc: 98.6 F

to simulate full load i ran 3Dmark 2005

i also used the uguru utility that comes with my motherboard for measuring temps. and did this on dual screens so i can see the temp while running the bench app.

and in my room the temp is 70 degrees F

Did you by chance try spraying fan with compressed air or checking around fan spindle?
Sometimes dust or something wrapped around spindle makes them stop spinning.

i did wipe a load of dust off of it when i last cleaned my comp out, about 3 weeks ago, and it was spinning for a day or 2 after that, i'll go down to pc world and get some compressed air on monday

yah that was the first thing i did. :) it stopped working on a reboot so that makes me think its dead too. but i sprayed it good with a can o air and nothing. Sigh why the hell cant they just put anice heat sink on it. hehe they dont wear out just get dusty.

sraycoz said:
um if you are running (full load)
case 38C = 100.4 F
Procc 47C= 116.6 F

Mine is running at (full load)
Case: 82.5F
PS: 96.0 F
Procc: 104.0 F

Mine is running at (no load)
Case: 82.4 F
PS: 96.8 F
Procc: 98.6 F

to simulate full load i ran 3Dmark 2005

i also used the uguru utility that comes with my motherboard for measuring temps. and did this on dual screens so i can see the temp while running the bench app.

and in my room the temp is 70 degrees F
ahhh you were using Ferinhight sorry I used to ppl posting their temps in Celcius.

i'm gonna order a Zalman ZM-NB47J Northbridge Cooler from overclockers.co.uk and hope it fits...

I just ordered a load of cooling gear from overclockers.

2x fan controllers
1x arctic cooling v5 for gf 6800 series
1x rubber feet (woo!)
1x extractor fan pci card

yay for useless stuff ;D

january will be my usless purchase month hehe. tell me how that extractor fan pci card works ep. i was thinking of putting one in. My comp is on 24 hours 7 days a weel i figure the less heat the longer it will last so. plus fans go to new comps . :D

well it fits, with about 2mm gap, it's either luck or zalman did some nice research with the nb and cpu cooloers

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back