NAV2002 stops starting??

R

roberto

Hi ,

Im having real probs with NAV. after i boot up the sys tray icon never loads and when i dble click on the desktop icon, the program wont load. I just get the egg timer for a few seconds then nothing?
I have removed the program all together as Symantec have instructed, and all virus defs etc. and reinstalled about 4 times over the last month.

what the hell is going on?
Symantec say the problem has been reported but have no idea how to resolve, just reinstall.

Im getting fed up of doing this only to have it happen again. Im 99.9 % sure i aint been hit with any virus (inc the Klez bunny)

anyone having same probs or just me???:confused:

ps im running XP Home edition

Did you run the live update from the command prompt? I had same problem on my laptop for the longest time, until I got it to update NAV.

I can't remember how exactly what the command was though, been awhile. Check NAV website.:(

as ive had to re-install, i click on the virus defs link in the main window and it auto runs the live update. As its a fresh install everytime, it has about 3mb of updates to download with both the new virus defs, and product updates.,

I dont even know whether NAV is actually running in the background, as task manager shows that navapsvc.exe, and NVSVC32.exe are running??,

One thing ive noticed in Windows Task Scheduler, when i try to run the NAV scan manually from this, it show a weird 0xfffffffffff in the last result box? why is this happening are they related?:confused: :(

As a repair tech I have seen this problem on several machines and it is actually the KLEZ virus that prevents it from starting. It also attacks every new installation so they wont completely install either. When you are required to reboot the pc to complete installation KLEZ blocks NAV from starting again. Look in your MSCONFIG program under the startup tab for strange filenames and kill them from running with Ctrl Alt Del. and then try to restart NAV, not the PC and do a full system scan. If that doesnt work you may need to reformat or DL another virus program and do a full scan of all files on your PC.

Good Luck

I have run a full scan with Ontracks Fix-It4.0 using the most upto date defs, no virus was found and im pretty sure its right.

I checked the msconfig and most look sort of familiar or best guess i can place them. the only one im not sure about is the item RUNDLL32, its command line is rundll32exe NvQtwkNvCpl Daemon initialise??? does that sound ok/familiar/ safe?

I have reinstalled NAV yet again and this time on live update i only got the defs, rather than the product updates as well. Im hoping that the prob may lie in Symantecs latest program updates?

Norton Antivirus 2002 & XP

This is a known problem with no known solution at the moment.
Even if you have removed all the registry entries left by Norton Antivirus (by hand) it appears that the only known way of overcoming the problem is to re-install XP on a clean partition (a bit drastic). Make sure it's not dual-booting with (say) Windows 2000 also with a copy of Norton Antivirus. If you have this programme installed in both operating systems your better off re-creating your partitions from scratch and re-installing everything in XP first as like some printer drivers there is interaction between the two.

I suspect it's an XP issue, did you note the product ID when your system encounters a "stop" issue? was it ID 786_1? or is it 687_1 can't remember.

Microsoft don't know either but they are aware of the problem probaly each blaming the other. Virus protection software in XP runs in a privelaged area, removing them from this area requires more than the ordinary "uninstall" routines. If you select HELP and ABOUT NORTON ANTIVIRUS does nothing happen?

Have you suffered any disk corruption or other applications saying that they have to close as an "unexpected error" has been encountered?. Do you use a firewall, some of these stop certain system functions without telling you so remove them when you attempt to use any update function like Semantec Live Update for instance. It's not a bug but an feature!!!

Cheers
Dave Holbon.

:confused:

Norton Antivirus 2002 & XP

This is a known problem with no known solution at the moment.
Even if you have removed all the registry entries left by Norton Antivirus (by hand) it appears that the only known way of overcoming the problem is to re-install XP on a clean partition (a bit drastic). Make sure it's not dual-booting with (say) Windows 2000 also with a copy of Norton Antivirus. If you have this programme installed in both operating systems your better off re-creating your partitions from scratch and re-installing everything in XP first as like some printer drivers there is interaction between the two.

I suspect it's an XP issue, did you note the product ID when your system encounters a "stop" issue? was it ID 786_1? or is it 687_1 can't remember.

Microsoft don't know either but they are aware of the problem probaly each blaming the other. Virus protection software in XP runs in a privelaged area, removing them from this area requires more than the ordinary "uninstall" routines. If you select HELP and ABOUT NORTON ANTIVIRUS does nothing happen?

Have you suffered any disk corruption or other applications saying that they have to close as an "unexpected error" has been encountered?. Do you use a firewall, some of these stop certain system functions without telling you so remove them when you attempt to use any update function like Semantec Live Update for instance. It's not a bug but an feature!!!

Cheers
Dave Holbon.

:confused:

If you've contacted Symantec and they've told you it's a known problem and there's no solution yet, it's very unlikely you will find one here.

Uninstall using the program in the attachment. It totally removes NAV and other Symantec products. It was given to me by another person on this board when I had problems with my NSW2002 Pro. It turned out the problems were being caused by the fact that my NSW was a BETA and not everything was ebing uninstalled.

Hope this helps!

Goku - the symclean program you are talking about is actually provided by Symantec on their web site.

I posted it here because not alot of people know of this program :D

Yep - good idea. I was just pointing out that it's "Symantec approved".

Sorry to say... I had the VERY same problem about a month ago.

It started after a hard crash from a un-related program......

I tried for hour to get it working (Norton).... I ended up having to re-install windows to get it back......

:(

hey Roberto...

seems like it could be any number of things... and many good suggestions were included in this thread..

for my two cents~ i too had a problem similar to yours... my tray icon would dissapear, and double-clicking on the program icon would just give me an hour glass for about 10 seconds..and then dissapear.. this is what i did to resolve the problem...

As was recommended.. i too used the symclean utility which you can get Here ~this is from Symantec's ftp site. In addition to this utitility you might want to try this one only after you have run Symclean..this utility is also from Symantec and can be found Here . This utility is called the RNav.exe Norton Antivirus Cleanup Utility. Keep in mind..the Symclean is only to be used if your NAV was part of Norton System Works. If not, then just use the RNave.. Futher information on using these utilites can be found Here

So anyway, after i ran Symclean (i have NSW) i then manually went through the registry (Regedit) from the run box and manually deleted all entries for Norton, Symantec, and System Works. Yes, it's kind of dangerous to do..but i feel comfortable working with the registry..you may not.. in any event ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR REGISTRY!!!.. once all entries were deleted.. i then manually searched for all folders pertaining to Norton. Which also included deleting the folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared<-- Make sure that folder is deleted. Also, make sure that any Window's Installer files client side (will have an extension of .msi or .msp)removed from this folder C:\Windows\Installer- which might be hidden..if so, make sure you enable to "View hidden files". That part may be a bit time consuming, as i manually had to go through all of those files, double-clicking to launch to see what programs they would attempt to install..then removing any that dealt with NSW or NAV...

I then rebooted..and then performed a clean install without any programs running~ but my key difference was that i installed it to a different folder from the default .. make sure you attempt to do that. so if it defaults to c:\program files\nav, maybe change it to c:\nav or any other directory of your choice.

i rebooted again, and was able to get it up and running without a hitch.

If we take Black_Pride's approach,...also a great idea...! try utilizing the Klez removal utility which can be found Here. Let that run and remove any entries that may be found..keep in mind..if there are any infected files.. you will probably have to reinstall any programs that those files pertained to..

Also mentioned i think, is any popup stopper which might be running in the background such as adshield, etc.. it might be too aggressive..best to temporarily disable it during this procedure..

Anyway, good luck, and let me know how you make out..

~n:D

a quick correction...sorry!!!

where i entered the link for finding more information on how to use the symclean and rnav utilities..for some reason..it wouldnt work..so just goto the symantec site.. and do a search on "rnav"...you will see a list of articles..just click on the first one..and it will take you to the page i was trying to link you to.. you will see instructins on both utilities there...

good luck!! ~n:D

What about this?

Notice any symptoms?

/http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/

robin.m...very cool page you linked us to.. ill use that one at work for sure..as i was quite frankly, not aware of all the symptoms listed for the Klez... maybe this will help some of our helpdesk personnel in troubleshooting..!!

thanks again Robin !

Wow thanks guys,
its perversly good to know others have had the same problem.

i have downloaded the rnav utility already from symantec, but was waiting on your responses b4 trying it, as i really dont wanna mess anything up (my wife's doing degree work and would be my life if i stopped access to the pc thru any major system crash...thin ice etc..

anyway good advice all round
TuMbRaS, i have only NAV2002 and N PFirewall also, i think the latter was still running when i did installs anmd updates etc..maybe should disable?
I also followed a help page from Symantec which said to remove program and delete folder ...Common Files\Symantec Shared\Virus Defs....this was done automatically when i removed program via Add\ Remove programs. However there was still the 'Symantec Shared folder with stuff in? this method also auto removed any registry entries in the folder they told me to delete.

there were also other entries in the registry but as they were not specifically advised (and may be related to the Firewall) I left them?
Also the Live Update folder and program were still active (for the Firewall) so mayben I should remove both other Symantec programs and all registry entries? then try a fresh install.

You mention ....Window's Installer files client side (will have an extension of .msi or .msp)removed from this folder C:\Windows\Installer- which might be hidden....

this is v.interesting as the other side effect that is happening is when i try to open MSWord(2002), or MSOutlook(2002), it is trying to open a Windows Installer for some reason, even says i need to put the XPProffesional Office CD in to install an item that is no longer there?? once it mentioned something like "do not have permission to access the registry , and I need to consult PSS or something at M.soft! ...that was really worrying know my missus is using MSWord I can tell you, luckily Its taken what it needed from the CD and is ok now.

Dave Holbon.. Thank m8, bear what u said in mind, as Im not getting any access to NAV at all, there isnt a crash as such and therefore no ID message? As I mention though I did have the firewall running all the time ? I do have 5 partitions but NAV is in the default C, and i'm only running XP, not had any disk corruption and no major probs ..well... recently! :rolleyes:

Im gonna remove all Symantec products, cleanup and reinstall with nothing running into a different folder than the default, I'll keep you posted on how I get on

Cheers again for your help everyone!

one last thing...

and thank you for reminding me about this... you MUST REMOVE LIVE UPDATE from the add/remove window under control panel.. do this AFTER you have removed all instances of Norton products from your hard drive..it is a very quick uninstall...

then do as you suggested with a clean reinstall..keep in mind..if you have already made an attempt to install, you should run both utilities again...

once side-effect of doing this is that your live update may not work..or your norton products may say when you reinstall them..that there was no Subscription service available or found.. in which case.. you will have to get norton's live update utility which can be found Here the download you can get Here. You should have live update version 1.7x.

As far as windows installer issues... i have come across quite a few times in work... The utility that i like to use is the Window's Installer Clean UP Utility which can be found Here. Should you have any questions about using the utility, you can find out more about it on MS's site under a search of: "Window's Installer Cleanup Utility"... there will be lots of information to show..

okay.. hope this helps too!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back