Nav/regedit/taskmanager

Henyman

Secret Goat Fetish
Political Access
ok guys +gals have a little problem for u all:D

basically last sunday i reinstalled windows 2 fix a few problems i was getting. it was all fine till yesterday:mad:

i think i have a worm or similar on my computer. if i try 2 open taskmanager using ctrl-alt-del it open for a split second then closes. i cant open up nav2002 as it just doesn't open. i've done several online virus scans + they showed up nothing. i then thought i'd look in the registry 2 see what was starting up but regedit doesn't work either:huh:
so basically it seems like a worm or similar has gone and got itself on my system. i cant open nav to do a full scan and i cant use taskmanager 2 kill any processes and i cant use regedit 2 see whats starting up:( any outher idea's anyone? i will atach a few screenshots in a mo

thanx all

Henyman

ok this is a pcture of taskmanager ( i had enuf time 2 get a screenshot b4 it closes)

and this is startup (from msconfig)...i cant see anything overly suspicios.

Since you have access to msconfig, do a selective startup. Diable everything from starting and see if you still have the problem. If you do, it may well be either a virus or a hw problem (probably the former). If everything is okay however, begin adding items back one at a time until the problem recurs.

Originally posted by allan
Since you have access to msconfig, do a selective startup. Diable everything from starting and see if you still have the problem. If you do, it may well be either a virus or a hw problem (probably the former). If everything is okay however, begin adding items back one at a time until the problem recurs.

i was going 2 try that:cool: i disabled 1 or 2 of them but not them all. will do that soon. whats a former? i dont trust my hardware ( oem pos):huh:

have you used a trojan scanner?? see if it detects anything

no because i dont no any good 1's:( + virus scanners should have picked up trogans as well

not really i've heard AV cant always catch them ...i always scan for trojans with a seperate program ...i use the latest "Trojan Remover 4.9.5"

Originally posted by Henyman
i was going 2 try that:cool: i disabled 1 or 2 of them but not them all. will do that soon. whats a former? i dont trust my hardware ( oem pos):huh:
The "former" means the former of the two possibilities I mentioned (a virus as opposed to the hw).

Also, may I make a suggestion of a personal nature (please don't be offended)? I post a suggestion and you reply you were going to try it. Someone else posts a suggestion and you "argue" with it (not a nast argument to be sure, but still....). If you ask for help, just accept it or don't, but defensiveness won't encourage more help. ;)

Again, just a suggestion - not intended to offend.

Hey allan no prob i wasn't arguing with B-man i'm gona try all sugestions as i have nothing 2 loose!!!

i cant belive i mis read former:(

/me goes 2 take his stupid pills:D

on the task manager picture, I notice a file called ssstars.scr is loaded - the surrounding desktop doesnt look to be running a screensaver though... could that not be something suspicious??

wOOt all fixed:cool:

TechSupport u were on the right lines:p i only just read ur post but it's all fixed now:D
i went and had a fat go @ my bro + it turns out the dumb**** downloaded a screensaver from an email he got in hotmail (yes he is that stuid) anyhow it was the yaha virus:mad: nav tool got rid of it really well though so now all i have 2 do is a system scan 2 make sure + i'm all done:D

wOOt:cool: :cool:

btw my computer now works 100% right.........i'm gona take some photo's as it's a very rare event:happy:

Henyman why don't you take that brother of yours to rugby & use him to practice the team tackling? :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back