NAV PRO vs free antivirus for a low memory PC.

H

helen

what are the difference's between NAV PRO and a free antivirus. i'm running low on memory. i just increased my virtual memory as much as i

can. i have 128 ramm memory. AOL. outpost firewall. i read NAV is bloatware. i disabled all the service's for network's. i emptied the cache.

i put history down to 0 day's. i deleted all temporary file's.
i only got 3 viruse's in over 1 year. would a free antivirus be good

enough. i don't want to use bloatware if i can help it. thank you.

NAV is not "bloatware" but it does require a "steady" system to run well.

For a low resource solution you may want to try PC Cillin or AVG, AVG is free.

www.trendmicro.com

www.grisoft.com

PC Cillins protection is good, AVGs is OK.

Also for free non real-time protection look at GAV:

http://www.ntfs.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32203

For other options see:

http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/soft2.htm

See the Application forum for other ways to increase performace of your system.

Note: While NAV does not deserve the label bloatware, AOL does.

Welcome to NTFS :)

sorry but i would have to agree, NAV is some serious bloatware, uses up to 3 to 4 times more memory, then other Antiviruses.

In my book thats bloatware, plus it has on several occasions missed viruses that other "free' antiviruses caught with no problem.

this is just my opinion of course

cool.gif

Just for the sake of it what viruses did your up to date nortons ( what version ) miss? And what free anti virus program caught them?

Yep I wanna know .... sure nortons demands a little more from your resources but if your set up right it runs very well , I have nortons 2002 anti virus and firewall on my puter , my sons , my daughters , and my Girlfriends , none of us has ever been affected by any virus, backdoor, or any other problem .. so just because it takes a bit of memory imho does not make it bloat ware .. and again if your setup right I dont see any problems at all with nortons.

:)

Here Here! I agree Kermit I have been running Norton since the 95 verison and never had a problem with 2000, 2001, 2001pro or what i am using now 2002pro

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back