NAS for Dummies

Temperal

OSNN Junior Addict
Wanted an opinion re: NAS. I don't know the first thing about any of this and am looking to automatically backup a Windows xp desktop and Windows Vista laptop. Both are connected to a wireless router. I am also wanting to stream music/pics/videos to a blu-ray player and TV from time to time. Both the TV and Blu-ray are connected to the router via ethernet cable. My plan is to connect the NAS to the router with a cable so everything can access it. I know that I could probably build something to do this but I have neither the knowledge nor time to do so.

Right now I am looking at this - Readynas Duo 2tb 2x1tb Sata Tt Raidar Gbe RND2210-100NAS - Buy Netgear Network Attached Storage Devices | PCNation.com and as it will auto back up, has raid 2x1tb (the 1tb is more than enough space), and seems to support streaming well. Given that it has a $150 rebate it looks to be a good deal. I looked at both Western Digital and Seagate boxes but they don't seem to be on par with this one. Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas are appreciated. Thank you.

Shawn

I enjoy my WD MyBook World Edition 1TB nas. Does all you mention up there

I enjoy my WD MyBook World Edition 1TB nas. Does all you mention up there

That is something I would be interested in. Can you daisy chain them?

[edit] I just checked and you can't. You can't, however add a usb external hd to it. So the 2 terabyte with my already owned 1 terabyte would make a good addition :) [/edit]

Ah, I was just about to say the same thing. I sometimes plug my other external drive into it with no problems. So yeah, there's that option. There's also a 2tb version, just in case you have mad on for extra space

If you want something you have to think 0% about and you can just shove whatever SATA HD's you have laying around you could look at getting a drobo*.

*I've never used one but have seem to get good ratings on newegg

If you want something you have to think 0% about and you can just shove whatever SATA HD's you have laying around you could look at getting a drobo*.

*I've never used one but have seem to get good ratings on newegg

yes, I been eying the drobo up a lot ....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back