Narrow bandwidth site access

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
Now I KNOW this is in the wrong forum....

BUT I WANTED to SHARE with EP the misery of dial up - made worse by having paid/signed up for a 3G PCMCIA card that simply will NOT play with me!!!

POINT IS - How's about a stickie somewhere with all the configs you would desire for narrowband accesss? Just a hint/suggestion (I might even have made the content if I had any time to do it!).

Also extend the context of the thread to broader browsing issues... Ffox v IE etc etc plus POP3 etc etc..... and while I am at it - how about a "hints and tips forum" or something to stick it in? I know I would appreciate it right now!

FINALLY - I know how you feel EP, mate! PS when do you upgrade your bandwidth BTW? I am worse off than you - no work to go to for bandwidth either, this sucks big time!

Got a problem with your shift/caps key aswell as the PCMCIA card? :p

I think a nice narrow-band (or 'lite') version of the site would be nice. I'd use it even with DSL, faster loading it always nice :)

SPeedY_B said:
I think a nice narrow-band (or 'lite') version of the site would be nice. I'd use it even with DSL, faster loading it always nice :)

thats probably the reason that there isn't one. Less images loading would mean less ad revenue. I try to click on at least one banner a day, and if people were using OSNN-Lite, less banners would be coming up, meaning less revenue. Just a thought.

That and it would be more work. Also, there may be a software (vB) licensing limitation built in there as well

I have started on a lite version several times but not been happy with the result.
I'll keep trying. The frontpage is cached tho and won't be updated every time you visit.

I don't think that is cached and I guess he mean't the frontpage? :s

Yeah he did. Its torture loading osnn on dial up.

We're going to come and beat on you with a 56k modem until we see a lite version or Nildram install our dsl - whichever comes first :D

Make it all plain text!

In seriousness though, I was referring to the forums, a 'lite' skin would be just rubbery.

Would WAP do it?

as promised on WAP thread here is a xlink to the WAP thread which might be useful in this context (waiting for answer on that, so click link if interested). :)

How lightweight tho, I mean we have an RSS 2.x backend that can easily be parsed by third party applications.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back