• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Naming Drives

Capricorn

OSNN Senior Addict
I know that this sounds petty, however I wondered if there is a way of changing what is showing as my CD Drives under My Computer. I have just installed a CD-RW Drive but this is showing as a CD-ROM drive. My other Drive is showing as a DVD Drive. I just want to change the CD-ROM Drive title to CD-RW Drive.

A

ATMCKD

Try uninstalling the drive an the device manager and rebooting. Also make sure you have the very latest application updates for your burner software and the windows update that resolves burner issues.

A

ATMCKD

Hey pappcam,
Just out of curiosity I did the search you requested and found the registry hack that remedies this. Interesting. I made those suggestions to capricorn because they worked for me but the one you made seems more exact. Thanks

Capricorn

OSNN Senior Addict
Well thanks for the advice guys. I have tried editing the registry, and creating a new sub key, as there was no DriveIcons folders. I have also updated the latest XP Updates and I have tried deleting my CD-RW and rebooting. However my CD-RW is still showing as CD Drive (D:) I either must be doing something wrong or my Memorex Burner will only show as a CD Drive.

W

Waldo

Open Regedit, go to HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\CD Burning You will find a volume number for each of your CD drives. Click on the one for your CD burner (You may have to try both as its not clear which is which) and change the value in the right hand side to 2. It will be set on 3 when you open it. Go to My Computer, click properties on your burner and see if there is a "recording" tab. If there is, you are set. Reboot and it will show CD-RW in Explorer.

W

Waldo

I have 2 Liteon burners that this trick worked on but I just ran into an HP burner with the same problem as yours, even after creating the Recording tab it shows as a CDROM drive. May be a dumb question but you did reboot, right?

P

pappcam

Turn on the Shell Hardware Detection service. You'll find it under:
Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services.
Make sure it's set to automatic.

Capricorn

OSNN Senior Addict
I have just run another Compatability Check and it seems that none of the Memorex burners are shown as being compatible with XP. Anyone running XP with a Memorex burner, and if so does it show as a CD-RW under My Computer? My burner works OK even though it is not compatible.

Capricorn

OSNN Senior Addict
Just out of interest. Memorex confirm that they have not updated their burner drivers to XP. So that is why they don't show as CD-RW drives under XP. This of course doesn't alter the way they work with Writer Software. This is probably the same situation with your HP burner Waldo.

S

Sage

Display as CD-RW Drive

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\E]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\E\DefaultIcon]
@="SHELL32.dll,12"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\E\DefaultLabel]
@="CD-RW Drive"

Where 'E' is whatever drive letter your CD-RW is.

Capricorn

OSNN Senior Addict
Thanks Sage, I had tried this tweak but it didn't work.

Waldo, with regard to your HP burner. Have you got it set to Auto in your bios? I only ask because I have another computer with a Sony CD-R drive, this is XP compatible, but only showed as a CD drive until I set it to Auto in the bios. It then showed as a CD-RW Drive under My Computer. However this didn't work with my Memorex Drive.

W

Waldo

Yes, I have BIOS detection set to Auto. Based on the posts I have seen all over it looks like HP CD-RW's are strange birds.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loxioalix