Nagging 3COM NIC with XP PRO problem... help needed.

B

Blingster

I have a 3COM 3C905C TX-M Nic installed on my XP pro OS:

Everytime I go online with Q3, UT, or Tribes 2, a "new hardware device is detected" whenever I launch a game. Then there is no driver found when XP attempts to install it. Afterwards an exclamation mark is found in device manager next to network adaptors for unknown device.

How do I stop this? I already downloaded XP drivers from 3COM but they are never recognized as current drivers. Otherwise this card is great and pings are lower while gaming compared to my Linksys NIC.

Any fixes would be welcome

Thanks

Put the downloaded drivers somewhere

remove all instances of the NIC in device manager

reboot, when Xp says its found the device etc .. hit Cancel.

and boot into XP

Then go to device manager (not new hardware wizard) to install the drivers you downloaded..

Right click on the NIC and choose Driver > update driver >> Select "install from list or specific location(advanced)" and follow on from there Choose Have disk and point it to the NIC drivers you downloaded.....

it may say some garbage about these drivers arent digitally signed , ignor that and continue

DONT let XP search for drivers do it manually... basically force XP to use the ones you downloaded

Reboot and all should be fine

XP calls my nic a Realtek and its a kingston , but it works great so i havent bothered changing it :)

Thanks

Thanks for the tips.

Since I posted this question I did a reformat and parttioned my drive to dual boot W98SE and XPX Pro. I will update soon as Im back to the point I can try my games in XP pro, to see if glitch comes back.

Thanks again

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back