mysterious shutdown

D

Druce

here's one for you all - I was watching WMP8 (A divx movie), using msn messenger (2 chat boxes open) and was browsing (1 explorer window open) and morpheous running in the background - then all of a sudden my computer shuts off... then when i'd go to restart and it would get all the way to the blank screen with the mouse pointer before it loads the desktop and would restart and would continue in a loop until i shut it off, I had to do a repair instal to get the thing working - didn't loose anything tho... any ideas what caused it?

I am running amd xp 1800+
1gb ddr ram
cable modem
200gb (5x40 HD's)
xp pro

you CPU

your cpu may have overheated,, this happened to me when my fan failed on my p3.

if that isnt the answer then maybe a virus found its way onto your computer using morpheus or somethink.

(amd processors do get very hot, and without a VERY good fan they shutdown.)))))

hope this helps you...

did you do an upgrade from 9x me, or did you do a clean install.
sounds like issues i had along time ago when i tried to upgrade
me.all those running apps had to do with the internet, and those
are issues almost everyone i know that just did an upgrade have, including me along time ago...but then again it also sounds like you got a short in your electical wiring, that was surging the power supply. that same thing happened to me last week, i was lucky i didnt fry my ps..

just make sure!

just ake sure your fan is working properly, when mine failed my processor melted!

load up ur bios and reload default settings, if it did overheat, it set
ur clock rate and fsb down to save the chip. and get somthing like
sissoft sandra or whateva it is, lol so u can keep an eye, on the temp....also ive heard there some bugs with wmp8 and divx, yes this can cause ur pc to keep restarting. that happened to me with gravis drivers i had to reinstall xp, ouch....besides ur pc would have to hit between 75c and 85c to even shut down.(athlon xp can handle up to 98c with out burning up.) i think you woulda felt the heat long before it shut down.lol mine sits at 52c under a heavy load and i can feel that lol.;)

OUCH

well my processor went because the fan completely failed and i didnt realise,

im waiting for a wghile before getting a new pc, the new p4,s will use ultra fast memory so i will wait for those!!!!!!

arghh

id go athlon xp all the way, u got just as much chance as burning a p4 out, and you could get better performance and actually pay less....but thats my opinon.course what am i saying, with these chips these days, we all have more than well ever use. its crazy..
hehe. p4s are way too expensive for my taste...:D peace...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back