Myst Masterpiece Ed in Win XP - Help :(

D

danamulder42

Hi everyone...I just bout the Myst Trilogy boxed set (Myst Masterpiece Ed, Myst II, Myst III) and just started on Myst Masterpiece Edition...I played the game for about an hour last night without a hitch until I got to a part where (alright, this might be a bit specific for people who didn't play, but I'll include it anyway in case someone else had this problem...) I have to click on a video that plays in one of the hidden Myst books to go to the next area. Anways, obviously the game does start, I can interact with the environments fine until this point...I should also note that sometimes when I start the game in plain Win XP mode it works fine, other times it crashes on the very first video that plays (for the company's logo), but if I change it to Win 95 or 98 compatibility mode it never seems to crash on that logo video...so I dont know whats going on, as UbiSoft's..helpful <ahem> tech department pointed out to me the box says the game only works in 95/98, though this problem must occur in those OS' too since its documented in their FAQ on their website ( http://ubisoft.custhelp.com/cgi-bin...mwxPTExJnBfc29ydF9ieT1kZmx0JnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li= ).
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Id like to think I didnt waste my money and a few hours of my life for nothing. :(

My sys config is:
Dell Inspiron 3800
P3 600 mhz
512 mb ram
ATI Rage Mobility M1-AGP 2X
Win XP

Btw, I should also note that I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling the game, updating all of my video and sound drivers, etc. Thanks in advance for your help.

I ran Myst III on win XP without any problems.
I don't think you wasted your money..Myst is invaluble master piece.

about Myst one..it doesn't run on XP I had to use it with Win 98.
Myst II: Raven..never tried it.

Hey, thanks for the reply..yeah, I read people got the other Myst games to run alright on XP but I havent really seen anything about the first...I didn't mean to imply that it was a waste of money for the game itself, just that I couldnt get it to work. I have a great love of adventure games, and I know these are supposed to be great, and when the trilogy came out it seemed like my calling to finally buy them. :p I'm excited to get this to work!!! (I will :p).

Hi, I actually am running Windows Classic; I dont care much for the new visual themes. When I tried running Myst in NT 4 (SP 5) and Win 2K mode it wouldnt even run; said it required Win 95 to run when I launched it. The Myst version I have is called Myst Masterpiece Edition; I dont know if its the same thing as Real Myst.

i would suggest running the game in compatibility mode. what you do is right click the icon and go to properties. next go to compatibility. under compatibility go to "run this program in compatibility mode for" and then chose windows 98. click ok. try that.

Brad

Hi, thanks for the response...I actually did try the different compatibility modes already and still no luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back