[MySQL] Selecting from two tables, but no duplicates

vern

Dominus
Political Access
I want to select from two tables. Each table has a column called "course_id". I want to select from one table if the "course_id" doesn't exist in the other table. How would I do this in one or multiple queries? I was looking at unions, joins, subqueries but I don't know if that is the most efficient or easiest solution. I've messed with all three but with no luck. Any help is appreciated. I'm only really selecting from the first table, but making sure that the "course_id" doesn't exist in the second table.

One way would be somthing like

SELECT * FROM table1 t1 WHERE t1.course_id NOT IN (select t2.course_id from table2 t2)

Also might want to look up the EXISTS command

Kayman, thanks, that worked out really well. I was playing with EXISTS and NOT EXISTS before, but it seems NOT IN gave me the desired results.

I also played around with joins but with no luck. Thanks.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back