mySQL install help

CHiLLaXen

hypnotika
OK, I just installed apache, php, and mySQL in a partition on my hard drive. PHP works but I cannot get mySQL to work. I"m at the point where I must create a admin password. I go to the command line, get to the mysql\bin folder. I type "mysqladmin -uroot password blahblah" <- not the real password. It says:

mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Can't connect to MySQL server on 'localhost' (10061)'
Check that mysqld is running on localhost and that the port is 3306.
You can check this by doing 'telnet localhost 3306'

I have no idea what it is talking about. I'm very new to this server stuff. I just wanted to install it so I could test out my website before putting it online.

Try not using a password unless you set one up. and/or try not using a username. Those were my problems. I did not set one to begin with, so I didn't give it one and it worked. I only use mine for local testing though so it doesn't have to be really secure.

MySQL is not running, I haven't used it on Windows, but I think you need a my.ini config file in, well you need to figure out where it goes, and then start it up.

Once you get it running use this to set the password

mysql>SET PASSWORD FOR username@"%"=PASSWORD('your password');

yeah you gotta run mysql-nt and make the my.ini or my.cnf in C:\

The initial DB for MySQL was not setup. That needs to be setup first before you can connect to MySQL. I run MySQL on Linux, I would have to...

su mysql
mysql_install_db

to setup the initial DB. Someone else might be able to help you setting up the initial database in Windows.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back