mySQL install help

OK, I just installed apache, php, and mySQL in a partition on my hard drive. PHP works but I cannot get mySQL to work. I"m at the point where I must create a admin password. I go to the command line, get to the mysql\bin folder. I type "mysqladmin -uroot password blahblah" <- not the real password. It says:

mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Can't connect to MySQL server on 'localhost' (10061)'
Check that mysqld is running on localhost and that the port is 3306.
You can check this by doing 'telnet localhost 3306'

I have no idea what it is talking about. I'm very new to this server stuff. I just wanted to install it so I could test out my website before putting it online.

GMeagle86

OSNN Addict
Try not using a password unless you set one up. and/or try not using a username. Those were my problems. I did not set one to begin with, so I didn't give it one and it worked. I only use mine for local testing though so it doesn't have to be really secure.

j79zlr

Glaanies script monkey
Political User
MySQL is not running, I haven't used it on Windows, but I think you need a my.ini config file in, well you need to figure out where it goes, and then start it up.

Once you get it running use this to set the password

mysql>SET PASSWORD FOR username@"%"=PASSWORD('your password');

vern

Dominus
Political User
The initial DB for MySQL was not setup. That needs to be setup first before you can connect to MySQL. I run MySQL on Linux, I would have to...

su mysql
mysql_install_db
to setup the initial DB. Someone else might be able to help you setting up the initial database in Windows.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Haniew