• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

MySQL Arbitarary string prefix in select statement

Hey!

Anyone know if I can have mysql 5 arbitrarily prefix a value from a table in a select statement?

I had thought that something like:

Code:
SELECT CONCAT('maildir:',pop) AS home FROM users WHERE username = "email@domain.com"
would do the trick but I just get nothing out of mysql.

Pointers in the right direction would be appreciated :D

I too would also expect that to work.

you tried it with the email address in single quotes?

a good way to test it would be to try
SELECT CONCAT('maildir:', pop) AS home FROM users;

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
there's no chance this is in a php script and you have perhaps ommitted \"maildir:\" is there? The only other thing I can think of that pop is returning as null - in which case the whole finction evaluates to null (you never get just "maildir:" returned, but then I can't see why you would want to either...

nah not php, configuration for dovecot imap/pop3 server :)

For the moment I've manually specified a default location for maildir locations, but since that's stored in the database I'd like it to figure it out for itself :p

However I need to prefix "maildir:" to the value in the database so that insted of /usr/local/mail/domain/user_part_of_full_mail_address/Maildir it gets maildir:/usr/local/mail/domain/user_part_of_full_mail_address/Maildir

Well I don't know what I was doing wrong last night but the following works now:

Code:
SELECT CONCAT('maildir:',pop) AS mail, uid, gid FROM users WHERE username = %u"
%u gets expanded by dovecot to be the full username as supplied at pop3/imap4 login and is a full email address.

My guess is that I was supposed to use mail and not home. But works now :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanoravies