my XP OEM CD

q12368c

OSNN Addict
I buy a notebook which come with an OEM WinXP CD. and I have
a serial number for WinXP. But it is no need to input it during install the CD to my pc, can someone tell me when should i need to enter the serial number?

Originally posted by q12368c
I buy a notebook which come with an OEM WinXP CD. and I have
a serial number for WinXP. But it is no need to input it during install the CD to my pc, can someone tell me when should i need to enter the serial number?

It was activated at the factory already. It's probably a recovery disk, you would if wanted to go back to factory reset (how it was when it left the factory) you would boot the disk after setting in bios to boot from cd rom drive and follow the instructions about restoring an image.

If for some unknown reason the whole system corrupts and you have to do a clean install (removing the image also) then it will ask you for the serial during setup.

The serial should be on the back of your laptop.

If you do a back to factory setting it will remove the files you installed aftr you received laptop and reinstall (quickly I might had) the image set by the factory when the system was activated.

The OEM WinXP CD is a setup CD, NOT A RECOVERY DISK...
I am asking AFTER CLEAN INSTALL the OS when will I need to
enter the key(I already have)

Ummm... if you've already entered the key your all set :) ... doesn't ask for key more then once.

Usually the o.e.m. disk is a recovery cd, with (m$ words not mine) as they prefer the ops to be installe don a hidden partition.

Do you like to type numbers or what is the problem?

Obviously the cd you got automatically inserts the cd key. Dell cds for instance do that.

Look for an Unattend.txt file in the i386 directory on the cd.

Originally posted by yoyo
Do you like to type numbers or what is the problem?

Obviously the cd you got automatically inserts the cd key. Dell cds for instance do that.

Look for an Unattend.txt file in the i386 directory on the cd.

Maybe the user is trying to get in some serious practise for a data inputting career!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back