my wireless network

Andy

Meep.
there seem to be quite a few threads about this, but they all seem quite confusing, and im looking for a basic answer.

i have decided, now i have abit of money, that a wireless network is the way for me. im setting up bluetooth as well so the phones in my house can also connect to the pc, but its the wireless network im worried about right now.

ive got 2 pcs, both running xp. i want to know the best and required hardware im going to need. i want to be able to share an adsl connection, as well as files, and playing a few games etc.

my knowledge so far is that ill need a wireless router and two 'adaptors' connected to both machines, and thats it. is this correct? any recommended hardware, ive heard good things about neatgear.

it would be also great if bluetooth was built in to, for example, the router, if thats possible. it'll save me buying more kit.

thanks
andy

What I use...

hybrid said:
...ive got 2 pcs, both running xp. i want to know the best and required hardware im going to need. i want to be able to share an adsl connection, as well as files, and playing a few games etc.

my knowledge so far is that ill need a wireless router and two 'adaptors' connected to both machines, and thats it. is this correct? any recommended hardware, ive heard good things about neatgear.

it would be also great if bluetooth was built in to, for example, the router, if thats possible. it'll save me buying more kit.

Hi again - good to see the nic may be getting use soon!

I have four machine networked here and am very happy with my EdiMax kit. It gives me coverage throughout the house from the LAN access point. You're right about netgear (I guess people do think it IS NEATgear lol!) being popular, but I think you'll find it costs slightly more than EdiMax. You CAN share your connection with just the WLAN but it may be slightly tricky and a router is something you may want to consider as a future option. The extra bits you will get with the WLAN access point are USB dongles to go into your machines, although one of them will probably be wired to the WLAN anyway - so you will have a spare dongle!

As regards bluetooth - I think I would treat it as a separate issue if I were you. Also be aware of what bluetooth is meant for and do not abuse it or you may suffer problems. I only have one bluetooth device - my Sony DV videocam, but I am not sure I will ever use the functionality, although in theory it would mean I could access email and OSNN on holiday with a mobile and my videocam :cool:

ok i have the ulitmate setup:
(presuming you in england)
go to http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk click on link:
580x120_WAG54G.gif
+ get the linksys wag54g adsl router with wireless with 4 port switch then add a wireless card. total including next day delivery + vat is around £140. the router will plug into you phone line, mains + back of 1 pc using the suplied cat5e cable + nic it sounds like you got off Mainframeguy :D you then put the wireless pci adapter in comp no.2 + off you go :D

you can off course have 2 pci wireless cards if you want + then you can put the router anywere as long as it has power + phone line. i would setup the bluetooth seperate ;)

I would suggest Netgear DG834 DSL wireless modem+router.
Not sure whether there are any modem+routers that come with extra NIC/wireless adapters so you may have to purchase one for each of your computers.
I haven't seen any routers that come with bluetooth, but I agree with Henyman and Mainframeguy about separating the two for security reasons.

My laptop has wired+wireless so sometimes I use both when transferring files across to my PC. :)
Uploads through wire, and downloads through wireless. ;)

Henyman said:
... total including next day delivery + vat is around £140. ...;)

Interesting - with my EdiMax it came in just under £130. I do have to say the Henyman recommendation looks like it may be slightly better spec and my EdiMax is only to the b spec and not the g, which will mean large files transfer 6x faster - so I would go with his unless money is the ultimate consideration. It is good to see prices falling for this stuff - because it was overpriced to start with.

PS Hybrid is in NI - which is UK indeed!

yeah it is a great price for G + is great :D

henymans deal looks pretty good, and i see they make network cards for laptops too, so thats pretty good, more chance of compatibility if i stick to the one brand.

thanks guys, once the other machine gets back (fingers crossed - in one piece) ill be hooking this stuff up :D cheers!

feel free to keep suggesting stuff though! :p

i got the deal with a laptop card, best price around + brilliant service it has to be said :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back