My Windows Visual Style ... goes wrong.

ferasferas

OSNN Newbie
Hi, I think my "Windows Visual Style" goes wrong, and I don't know why?

That bcs I've download some *.msstyles and whn I try to open them then windows doesn't change.

But when I try them on my friend computer it works and the windows apperance change.

Note: the Theme service set to Automatic.

Thanks for all.

Re: My Wimdows Visual Style ... goes wrong.

You have to make sure they're in the X:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes folder.
X denotes the letter of your main hard disk/drive.

If you have not patched the uxtheme.dll you need to do so.

Latest is here

This is based on using windows xp sp2 /home or pro

Thank alto fo your help. But when I try that files on my friend computer I didn't put then in the ...\...\..\Resources\Themes folder.

And it works.
I think I've the UXTheme.dll in my System32 folder ant the same size. 214 KB

ferasferas said:
Thank alto fo your help. But when I try that files on my friend computer I didn't put then in the ...\...\..\Resources\Themes folder.

And it works.
I think I've the UXTheme.dll in my System32 folder ant the same size. 214 KB

You need the hacked one that replaces the one in the system32 and other backup folders so that they work.

Try here this is the last uxtheme patcher I know of.

It would all depend somewaht on what XP you & your friend are running. Original, SP1, SP2. If you have updated the service pack you need to update the hacked file.

If you want your themes to show up in the Appearance tab of your Display Properties, then you need to put them in the directory that Lee posted above.

You don't have to put them anywhere special. Give it a go. I can get them to appear from another partition.

Wonder if it has anything to do with what hacked file you are using?? Might be set up differently??

Hipster Doofus said:
You don't have to put them anywhere special.
To get them to show up with the defualt XP themes you do, or else you have to search for them.

Also remember that your going to have to patch uxtheme.dll after most major MS updates or anytime you run SFC (system file checker - as it will replace your hacked version with the MS version).

thanks for all .. Lee , Hipster Doofus , muzikool , Xie ...
After I repalce the file the problem solved. Thank's alot again.

But when I try to replace the file it was in use, so I go to rebbot in the safe mode and change it's name then replace it.

I appreciate your help alot.

That's one way to do it, but you don't necessarily need to replace the file altogether. You can have multiple visual styles in that folder, all named differently.

muzikool said:
That's one way to do it, but you don't necessarily need to replace the file altogether. You can have multiple visual styles in that folder, all named differently.
I'm not a 100% sure but I think he might have been talking about the uxtheme.dll ;)

Xie said:
I'm not a 100% sure but I think he might have been talking about the uxtheme.dll ;)

Good point. :) That works then, but I still prefer Replacer.

H, Gentelman agian:

Although, the windows apperance change, but not all of it. The task bar remain as Win98 look, and the Explorer as well.

you can se the attachment.

so I need a help again.

Attachments

• MyWinLook.GIF
    MyWinLook.GIF
    52.2 KB · Views: 109
Is this problem with all visual styles, or just that particular one?

I'd like to see the view in Display Properties when the VS loads into that panel.

muzikool said:

I'd like to see the view in Display Properties when the VS loads into that panel.

It's with all VS. As you can see the Buttons apperance change, and the windows as well, but the task bar and the Explorer doesn't.
But this problem doesn't appear in my friend computer. We have the same Version of windows.

see the attachment.

Attachments

• Look.GIF
    Look.GIF
    30.7 KB · Views: 80
What start menu have you got chosen? Normal or classic. Click start, then right click the menu to see. Try normal if it isn't already.

muzikool said:

I'm using the Classic Start Menu, And try to change no changes ...

Gentelman:
My problem goes father than I expect, after patching the UXTeme.dll sometimes the pc show me a blue screen and count till 100 then Restart.

I think I need help as soon as posible plase.

The only possibility that comes to mind is that you patched UXTheme.dll with a version that wasn't compatible with your operating system. For instance, if you're running XP SP2 and you didn't get the SP2-compatible patch then you might experience this type of problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back