My Vista Questions

N

Not Bman

I thought since I have so many little questions and big questions about Vista that instead of making 20 threads and spending hours searching the internet I would create one big thread for all my questions.

I appreciate all the help you guys have been giving me.

My first question of the thread is this.

In Vista, when you right click on anything, start menu, icon, anything you get the Context menu. Though in Vista the context menu has the "text" and the "icons" beside the text. I am wondering how would I go about removing those icons. I would like to have it like XP, no icon. Screen shot can be provided if needed.

Not sure what you are talking about.

My menu's dont' have icons (other than the checkmarks for options selected, which I find very helpful)

here is what i am talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would assume that is built into the shell and/or msstyle.

So the only way to change that would be to edit the msstyle/shell. That is a problem, since I tend to change my VS's all the time, and once you change it it goes back to how it is.

I've never attempted to or heard of a way of removing that from Windows Vista. Not saying a way doesn't exist, but if it does than it's some very tiny specific tweak that is hard to find.

All I can find through google after a quick search is ways of removing whole items from context menus, not just the items' icon.

I've never attempted to or heard of a way of removing that from Windows Vista. Not saying a way doesn't exist, but if it does than it's some very tiny specific tweak that is hard to find.

All I can find through google after a quick search is ways of removing whole items from context menus, not just the items' icon.

Yea that is also all I could find with Google. There must be some other way to do it, I was hoping someone here knew.

here is what i am talking about.

That is available so certain items can be checked off and the settings are remembered and viewable to you should you choose to modify. I would think its a universal shell design and since it is NEEDED in certain places, I don't know if it can (or should) be turned off.

Icons don't go there, check marks do.

See attachment.

Attachments

• sample.jpg
    sample.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 112
Yes but why do the Checkmarks need to be there. In XP it is the same thing but without them. Correct?

No, in that particular context menu, XP has checkmarks. Actually, I see XP has icons as well for the other context menus.

The checkmarks need to be there to let you know whether an option is selected or not (Lock the Taskbar, et cetera).

I can give you screenshots of both XP and Vista with icons in context menu if you like. WinRAR is an example if you have WinRAR added to the context menu in it's own subfolder.

I think you may be correct, but why does it look so different then xp.

Because it's a different OS

If you want XP, you'll need to go back to XP :)

I knew someone would eventually say that lol. I don't want XP, I just want some similarities.

In the time it has taken you to start this thread and ask questions, I have already completely formatted my system, installed Vista Ultimate SP1 x64 and I am now installing my lovely games :smoker:

Re: what you are trying to do, fair enough. But the operating systems' are NOT THE SAME. There are some wonderful features in Vista that you cannot turn off because they are a part of the shell. I am sure you can hack them out but you will destroy a lot of functionality.

Oh Sazar, I enjoy your comments :)

You make a good point, maybe this question was a bit lets say useless. I do though have many more on the way.

You make me want to do a clean install of Vista x64, I have been having little wierd problems since installed Vista, thought it might be just Vista but I think it might have to do with the Counterfeit disc that I got. Waiting on getting my new one, not sure if I should get 64 or not.

I think they made vista unhckable. There are a lot of things that you could fo with the previous OS's that you can't with this. Funny things is that I like it like this lol...

As for turning off icons and such; I'm not sure but maybe vista manager would help.

http://www.yamicsoft.com/vistamanager/

You guys do have a point, I might just be in the part of missing XP, and so I am coming up with these questions. Or they could be stuff we should be able to have, who knows.

My next question.

I right click on Explore, that is what I am used to. In Vista it opens up into the Startmenu folder, being around all kinds of other folders that should be hidden. How do I make it so that it opens up in my downloads, or any other folder at that?

yes i missed his post as he posted it while i was sleeping, but i guess you can see things happening when you have your eyes closed

baiting mods aint so smart? and leaving the thread there instead of deleting it or locking it straight away is ?

I left the thread and the original quote as it is to serve as a reminder should anyone else on the forum search for such things..

I didn't lock it because I was actually rather hoping the original poster would reply with something stupid and give me a reason to ban him.

edit: oh.. the quote came from a deleted post.. and can't everyone see with their eyes closed? It's when I open them that I tend to have problems :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back